If these unimplanted cells have full personhood....
by Kbyrnes (2024-02-21 20:59:19)

In reply to: Alabama IVF Ruling  posted by FaytlND

...it'd be interesting to see how the IRS or state revenue agency in Alabama would react if women with a dozen frozen embryos elected to takes a dozen more dependent deductions on their tax return. Also...should the technician who dropped the tray or container be indicted for involuntary manslaughter?

There's no reason child support shouldn't start in the womb.
by BigBadBrewer  (2024-02-23 18:20:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

We can't deport pregnant women without determining date of conception?

Full personhood without a biological sex
by wcnitz  (2024-02-22 10:43:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Woke embryos are all the rage now, apparently.

If you transport them by auto, is a carseat madatory?
by Rocksteady74  (2024-02-22 10:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And can you use the carpool lane if the auto's only occupants are the driver and the embryos?

How would a SSN be obtained for the child?
by hibernianangst  (2024-02-21 21:56:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A child must have a Social Security Number to be claimed on a Federal income tax return. A person would need to falsify birth information, which would be unlawful, to obtain the SSN.

You're over-thinking it
by NJDoubleDomer  (2024-02-22 09:55:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I believe him to be making the larger point that the court's ruling may lead to unintended and absurd results.

I'm just taking the idea that "who says A, must say B"...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-02-21 22:25:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...If the state of Alabama wishes to make it the law of the state that frozen embryos have full personhood for civil and criminal purposes then the legislature should make it possible for a citizen to obtain SSNs. They might have to sue the IRS to see if the courts would go along.

My sally here has been somewhat tongue in cheek, but I'm also interested in thinking through the logical demands of calling these frozen embryos full persons.

Not so tongue in cheek -- "wards of the state"?
by Moose84  (2024-02-25 17:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If an embryo owner fails to keep paying for deep freeze storage, do the embryonic "children" become wards of the state with Alabama footing the bill?

You could start a cottage industry! *
by Grace91  (2024-02-21 21:47:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply