Sounds like you’re a libertarian….
by Marine Domer (2024-02-21 22:06:53)

In reply to: I am more concerned with Liberty.  posted by Jfs86

But then, do you believe heroin should be illegal? Because if you do, you’re against liberty. Do you believe abortion should be legal at any time for any reason? Because if not, you’re against liberty.

Liberty is a squishy term. Should you have the “right” to walk around naked in public in front of small children? Shout fire in a crowded theater? Defame people? Because all of that is arguably “liberty.” But it also depends upon whose rights you are protecting. Do victims have rights?

I’m no Democrat, and worry about some of the modern hard left agenda, thought police, wealth tax proposals, etc. But Donald Trump certainly does not have a perfect “liberty” score.

Here’s an example. Did you support Ron DeSantis going after Disney because of their stance on LGBTQ? Was that an appropriate use of government power in pursuit of “liberty”? Was Donald Trump threatening to imprison political opponents, or threatening private corporations if they moved jobs or capital overseas “liberty?”

A libertarian who's voting for an authoritarian
by wcnitz  (2024-02-22 06:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Just as confused as most libertarians.

Democracy not as important.
by Revue Party  (2024-02-22 09:30:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

They say rationalizations are better than sex. When's the last time you went a week without a rationalization?

Scott Adams is also playing the hyperbolic nonsensical card to justify horrible decisions. Democracy is now dispensable if it's in the way of fealty to Trump.

THEY'RE EVIL! I can't help but picture Anakin Skywalker and his fateful horrible line of dialogue.

I'm a conservative. But there are overlaps.
by Jfs86  (2024-02-22 05:57:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I the essential right is life. All others are derived. Freedom of conscience is next as manifested in first amendment. I do believe society can have restrictions because many activities may be desired by individuals but harmful to society at large.

My school board is being sued by state. NJ believes certain information should not be shared with parents. Ultimately, someone makes the decision. Who gets to do it? If the federal or state governments disapprove of something should they censor it?

I haven't said anything positive about Trump. I would prefer he wasn't running. But, that still leaves us with the Democrats.

Great post. *
by ocnd  (2024-02-21 22:31:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply