my problem with the current loan forgiveness
by jt (2024-02-22 12:20:55)

In reply to: The CHiPs and Science Act  posted by Kali4niaND

is that it does nothing to address the problems that led us down this path.

What are we going to do about subsidized loans, for example? The government getting involved in the student loan business is what started things down this path, as far as I'm concerned. Sure there are a variety of other factors, but this is a problem that was created with good intentions and was taken advantage of by greedy colleges and Universities.

so yeah, it's just more free shit to buy votes. Is it any different than the example you cite? Perhaps not, but who cares? What sort of rationale is that?

Amen
by Brahms  (2024-02-22 13:31:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And it subsidizes a lot of bullshit decisions on the part of higher ed orgs.

That's fair.
by Kali4niaND  (2024-02-22 12:36:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It just seems like EK is solely focused on student loan forgiveness, and not other forms of government handouts. While I don't agree, I can understand the general 'free shit' crowd.

I also think the Federal government needs to stay in the student loan business. But, they need to do a much better job in underwriting policies so that we avoid cases where students aren't able to repay their loans because they bought shit degrees.

Let's face it though, nothing is getting through Congress these days, so any actual reforms of everything and anything are going to have to wait until rational people are back in control.

The Federal Government should get out of the student loan
by catripledomer  (2024-02-22 13:45:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

business. Let private institutions do the underwriting and risk mitigation, and get universities on the hook if there is a default. Otherwise there will be no reform.

Agreed
by mocopdx  (2024-02-22 12:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I wouldn't have much of an issue with loan forgiveness if it were coupled with sweeping reform to overhaul the ridiculous arms race of modern universities. These one-time loan payoffs will do nothing to fix the real and much larger issue.

Correct, and why I'm not a fan.
by ocnd  (2024-02-22 12:27:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Have to get serious about addressing the cost side of the equation. Otherwise, forget it. 7-10% tuition increases YOY. Why not?