I don't know.
by Rockbrig97 (2024-02-22 14:54:44)

In reply to: It's also been called vote-buying by some.  posted by G.K.Chesterton

The 2017 tax cuts did a good deal to add to the debt. And it further led to economic inequalities.

As someone who has worked to (almost) pay off $150,000 in ND debt for my seven years there as a student, I don't like getting left out on this. I'd appreciate a cut myself. But it's hardly the worst economic decision in the last 50 years, even if it can be colored as vote buying by some.

As I said below, if it attempted to fix the core issue
by jt  (2024-02-22 16:12:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I might be able to get behind it. I've worked with resident docs and new to practice docs since 1999, and I've seen that debt burden absolutely explode. When I started, 100k was considered astronomical, and now we've seen 7 figures for dual doc households. Has the quality of education improved at a rate triple that of inflation? Of course not.

It's vote buying and can kicking and rationalizing it by comparing to other questionable policies doesn't advance the conversation, imo.