Ironically, too many people attending college is a problem.
by EricCartman (2024-02-22 16:36:20)

In reply to: We should incentivize more college graduates.  posted by kormal

The number of people with a bachelor's degree increased from 30.4% in 2011 to 37.9% in 2021, per the Pew study linked below. College graduates also are less likely to be unemployed vs High School graduates.

There are a couple of issues here, that I can see:

1) Not everyone needs to attend college. Pushing the "You must go to college" narrative is why kids end up in crappy colleges that have a negative ROI. Per the Pew study, only 46.4% of students that attend private for-profit colleges graduate in six years. At private non-for-profit school that number is 78.3% and 69% at public schools.

Graduating from UVA probably leads to a stable life. Graduating from a degree factory wastes four-to-six years of your life, probably puts you six figures in debt, and probably has a negative ROI. These kids would probably be better off attending a trade school or joining the military in a non-combat role to learn something tangible.

2) If kids graduate from High School without tangible life skills, then we need to rework what we teach in High School. We should not force kids into college to obtain enough knowledge to benefit society.

3) Most college degrees are not necessary to work in an office. A degree has become a screening tool, use to replace actually interviewing candidates, and certainly used to avoid training new hires. The good news is that this barrier to entry is slowly fading away (https://www.wsj.com/articles/help-wanted-no-degree-necessary-georgia-florida-skills-based-hiring-1e294181).

On the subject of assistance, I'm failing to understand why we need to help borrowers repay loans when they obtained an asset that generates hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional income over their working life (and the gap between college and non-college earnings has only widened over time). An asset was obtained, and now we are asking society to eat the cost. That is the definition of privatizing the gains and socializing the losses.

In contrast, people that lack assets should receive assistance from the government. My preference is to couple assistance with the opportunity to learn a skill, so that the recipient can move up into a higher paying role and off of assistance. For this reason, I favor the EITC over direct cash payments.

Like most of our problems, we are attempting to cure the symptom, not the disease. I guess that is how the game works.

I repeat that college isn't just to teach people how to work
by ACross  (2024-02-22 19:02:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It is to teach people how to think, to relate, to decide, to do things for others.

It’s mostly networking and broing down.
by EricCartman  (2024-02-22 23:09:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

What are people doing in High School these days? Apparently no one is learning how to think, or how to navigate life.

If kids are this banged up, then I might switch my position and embrace BI’s call for two years of conscription. Because none of this makes any sense to me.

You really think it's mostly networking?
by Tex Francisco  (2024-02-23 09:24:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

How much networking value do you think a degree from the University of Houston or Indiana State really provides? And to give some perspective, there are over 2800 four year universities in the US, meaning UH is certainly in the top 5-10% of all universities and Indiana State is probably in the top 25%. Maybe 2-3% of universities provide any sort of meaningful network value.

If you live in Houston, probably a lot.
by EricCartman  (2024-02-23 10:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If you live in Seattle, probably not that much.

On a national level, only a handful of schools will qualify here. On a regional level, the network effect is much greater.

We also must distinguish between networking with alumni and networking with friends that you made along the way.

I think that there is value here. Like everything else, it varies between the different universities.

Yeah, and accountants learn that you dope *
by Freight Train  (2024-02-22 20:00:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And I take EC's point to be that a traditional four-year...
by FL_Irish  (2024-02-22 19:14:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...college is not the only way to teach people those things, and for a lot of people isn't a particularly good way to teach people those things. So why are we pushing them into college?

It is not a coincidence
by ACross  (2024-02-22 21:31:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That Trump's strongest demographic is white dullards who didn't go to college.

One wonders to what extent that can be explained as...
by FL_Irish  (2024-02-22 22:50:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...a reaction to the facts that:

A. So much of society shares your low opinion of those who don't go to college

B. We've abandoned any pretense of improving the lot of the working class and have instead suggested that the solution to the problems of the working class is for the working class to make themselves not working class.

Some of what's being spouted in this thread about degrees being no more than an asset to be bought is gibberish, but so is the idea that college is a good fit for everyone. You don't really believe that, do you?

But is there really a low opinion of those without
by FaytlND  (2024-02-23 13:42:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

a college degree? Interestingly, those with a 4-year degree value that education at the same level (or even lower) than those without a 4-year degree. In other words, it seems more likely that those without a 4-year degree place more value on it than those who do have one.

Yeah, shitty elitists exist. But I suspect they are equal opportunity shitheads.

I don’t view a college degree as an “asset” for which
by kormal  (2024-02-22 18:00:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

ROI is a good metric. And I don’t think the gains are privatized. Everyone benefits from a college-educated populace!

I’m also a fan of the EITC. And I 100% agree with your last paragraph. We’re all just whistling Dixie around the real issues.

A degree most certainly is an asset.
by EricCartman  (2024-02-23 09:08:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Let's say that you took out a loan to build a factory. Construction takes four years, and at the end of four years the factory will generate $X in income. You would certainly consider this an asset, right?

A college degree is no different, it is just human capital as opposed to physical capital.

If society pays off the loans used to obtain this human capital, and you get to keep your degree, how can you view this as anything other than privatizing the gains and socializing the losses?

You seem to place a lot of value on society graduating from college. Again, High School should be enough formal education for most of society. Do you have any data to support this assertion? I'm seeing the opposite, which is highlighted in the WSJ article below:

Roughly half of college graduates end up in jobs where their degrees aren’t needed, and that underemployment has lasting implications for workers’ earnings and career paths.

That is the key finding of a new study tracking the career paths of more than 10 million people who entered the job market over the past decade. It suggests that the number of graduates in jobs that don’t make use of their skills or credentials—52%—is greater than previously thought, and underscores the lasting importance of that first job after graduation.

Of the graduates in non-college-level jobs a year after leaving college, the vast majority remained underemployed a decade later, according to researchers at labor analytics firm Burning Glass Institute and nonprofit Strada Education Foundation, which analyzed the résumés of workers who graduated between 2012 and 2021.

More than any other factor analyzed—including race, gender and choice of university—what a person studies determines their odds of getting on a college-level career track. Internships are also critical.

The findings add fuel to the debate over the value of a college education as its cost has soared—and whether universities are producing the kind of knowledge workers that employers say they need.

“You’re told your entire life, ‘Go to college, get a bachelor’s degree and your life is gonna be gravy after that,’” said Alexander Wolfe, 29 years old, a 2018 graduate from Northern Kentucky University who currently works security at a corporate facility in the Cincinnati area. “In reality, it hasn’t really helped me that much.”

I think the point is that it's not solely an asset
by FL_Irish  (2024-02-23 09:25:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I would assume most would say that they got quite a bit more out of attending Notre Dame than the resultant income differential. Seems like multiple things can all be true here.

1. There is a potential benefit to going to college beyond the economic ROI.

2. That said, there does need to be a certain level of economic ROI given the costs involved, and for many students that economic ROI is not achieved.

3. College is not the only place that the economic and non-economic benefits often associated with higher education can be obtained, and for many students it is not the right place for those benefits to be obtained.

4. Thus, instead of encouraging everyone to go to college, we should do more to promote the availability of both these economic and non-economic benefits in contexts outside of traditional four-year colleges.

I agree with all of this. *
by FL_Irish  (2024-02-22 17:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply