Ha....
by Kbyrnes (2024-02-22 19:25:08)
Edited on 2024-02-22 19:25:58

In reply to: You have no credibility on this issue. Zero.  posted by Freight Train

...The subject matter in the subthread is whether a college degree has value if the holder is someone who borrowed less than $12,000 and in 10 years hasn't paid it off. What is anyone's basis of credibility on this issue, I wonder, other than anecdotal personal experience and their subjective interpretation of the matter?

My anecdotal personal experience: At ND I majored in music; at the University of Chicago I got a master's in musicology. Along the way I got a real estate license, then became a commercial r.e. appraiser; and most of my work is in litigation circumstances. At Chicago I borrowed about $18,000 and paid it off in about 12 years.

I've been asked more than once in depositions what I think my music education has contributed to my current career. This is my answer: At both ND and Chicago, I learned how to identify a problem, gather information, assess it, and write something clear and concise that was intended to persuade the reader that my solution was reasonable; and to do rigorously and diligently. If one applies oneself in college, you can learn this lesson well, regardless of the major.