So you denigrate others’ “garbage” degrees above
by ocnd (2024-02-22 19:43:07)
Edited on 2024-02-22 19:44:52

In reply to: You have no credibility on this issue. Zero.  posted by Freight Train

only to take issue when someone also arbitrarily assigns value to yours?

What am I missing here?

Seems to me that value is defined in many ways, financial and not. And if financial return is the only metric by which to judge, why didn’t you just re-route your kid to a degree that would have provided a great financial return? It’s already been shown that college degreed individuals will make much more money over their working career as a whole.

Or, and work with me here, is everyone’s pathway and contributions unique? Even art majors. Should we be subsidizing and paying those off? That’s up for discussion. But “garbage” degrees? Come on.

An online degree from Univ of Phoenix for $150k
by EricCartman  (2024-02-22 23:02:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Is a garbage degree. The student will never earn enough in additional income to justify spending that amount on tuition. Same goes for a photography grad degree from NYU.

That’s what I think of when someone says “garbage degree.”

If you can’t pay off a debt used to fund something
by Freight Train  (2024-02-22 19:46:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Then the asset you bought wasn’t worth it. The degree is garbage to the extent the holder couldn’t monetize it. Across denigrates all business degrees on this forum continually. All of them. I don’t denigrate any one particular degree.

My son is already earning more in his field than he would’ve earned in the field he was pursuing. He was not cut out for college. After 4+ years at it, it was quite clear he needed to do something else for my wallet , but more importantly, for his own mental health. He will be just fine in the field he’s in. Not all kids need to go to college and not all college degrees are valuable.

As I’m sure you know, the undeniable fact that the average college degree holder’s earning potential margin over those who don’t hold a college degree isn’t driven by the contribution of, well degrees I won’t name. Plumbers, med techs, HVAC techs out earn lots of college degree holders. Such is the interaction of supply and demand.

I resent that college has become a return on investment
by jt  (2024-02-22 23:25:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

discussion. I place a lot of value on a solid liberal arts degree and the curriculum requirements to obtain it. Critical thinking, communication skills, and learning to be a part of a community are invaluable skills.

This has been devalued by subsidized loans and administrative greed, imo.

Why? ROI has always been the game.
by EricCartman  (2024-02-23 09:13:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It is why people pay up to attend prestigious schools. They are buying the name brand associated with the school, access to the alumni network, and the opportunity to build their own network.

Spending $150k to graduate from Harvard is completely different than spending $150k to graduate from Full Sail University. If ROI is ignored, then the two degrees are equal in value?

That premise is 100% false
by ACross  (2024-02-23 15:16:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Many people are not wired like you are.

People who are smart and motivated tend to do well in high school. Many people truly choose a school for reasons other than vocational prospects.

Motivations such as quality of program, desire to learn, desire to grow as a person, to deepen faith and understanding, or just to go to a party school like ND.

It’s implied.
by EricCartman  (2024-02-25 22:39:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If you are touring ND, Northwestern, Duke, and Gtown, then a positive ROI is a given for most students. The only unknown is fit, which is why people visit a school and attend based on vibes.

Why do people attend college? For knowledge, or because it is a gateway to a financially secure future?

"Idea of a University" would say otherwise
by czeche  (2024-02-26 10:24:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The conflation of trade schools (eg business school, most computer science, most kayak schools, etc) and universities has caused a lot of confusion.

"Party school like ND." Classic *
by jt  (2024-02-23 16:56:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I disagree, at least to the extent
by jt  (2024-02-23 11:06:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

that it's always been the main factor