I think you are fundamentally off base
by BigClumber (2024-02-22 19:46:50)

In reply to: I disagree that degrees are garbage unless the person is  posted by kormal

when you say "there is inherent value in a collegiate education." Your statement would be more accurate if you removed the word "collegiate."

There is inherent value in gaining knowledge and educating yourself by whatever means possible. Reading books, speaking to experts in the field, learning via apprenticeship, watching informational videos, deep-diving materials on the internet, and the list goes on.....

At one point, college may have served that purpose as well, but these days it's primary role is to produce a piece of paper (the degree) that theoretically makes you attractive to a future employer.

And sadly, many degrees these days are indeed garbage because they cannot fulfill that fundamental goal. The knowledge that you gain from a college education is not worthless, but it can certainly be gained many other places at a fraction of the cost.

I remember an interview with Spike Lee, maybe 10+ years ago
by Tex Francisco  (2024-02-23 09:41:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He said he went to college and grad school mainly because back in the 70s that was the only way he could get access to the equipment he needed to make movies. His advice to current kids with today's technology is that if you want to make movies, you don't need to go to college. Instead, just start making movies and build a portfolio of work. The same thought process can now extended to education more generally.

Not only do I disagree but this is a depressingly
by kormal  (2024-02-22 19:49:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

jaded and cynical view of higher education. I don’t really know what to say other than I find your view to be sad and impoverished.

A very simple thought exercise.
by Freight Train  (2024-02-22 19:59:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Let’s take your plumber. A good one is well-paid, well in excess of college graduates who toil in lots of low-paying jobs. Now, further assume this plumber likes his job and it supports his lifestyle and his dependents. He doesn’t own a college degree and he has no student debt.

I believe your argument is that your plumber is somehow impoverished if he doesn’t own a college degree?

“Own” a college degree
by kormal  (2024-02-22 20:03:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I suppose I shake my head like a disappointed father at that, too.

No, I don’t think anyone without a college degree is impoverished. I was describing that other poster’s view of college ed, not people.

A college degree is an asset that was bought.
by Freight Train  (2024-02-22 20:06:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Well, except for the deadbeats that didn’t pay for it. You’re damn right it’s owned.

That's hilarious
by BigClumber  (2024-02-22 19:57:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I am envisioning you shaking your head at me like a disappointed father, but also note a complete lack of substance in your reply.

You go on seeing the world as you wish it were - hopefully it works out for you.

I don’t see the world as I wish it was.
by kormal  (2024-02-22 20:04:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But I dream of a better world. And I support policies I think will bring that better world about.

I am sincerely curious. In this better world,
by Freight Train  (2024-02-22 20:14:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Are all people college graduates or just more than today? Should everyone go to college? If not, who should and shouldn’t, and on what basis should we judge that decision? And once we decide that, who should pay for that degree and in what percentage share? Or should college be free to all?