It’s mostly networking and broing down.
by EricCartman (2024-02-22 23:09:31)

In reply to: I repeat that college isn't just to teach people how to work  posted by ACross

What are people doing in High School these days? Apparently no one is learning how to think, or how to navigate life.

If kids are this banged up, then I might switch my position and embrace BI’s call for two years of conscription. Because none of this makes any sense to me.

You really think it's mostly networking?
by Tex Francisco  (2024-02-23 09:24:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

How much networking value do you think a degree from the University of Houston or Indiana State really provides? And to give some perspective, there are over 2800 four year universities in the US, meaning UH is certainly in the top 5-10% of all universities and Indiana State is probably in the top 25%. Maybe 2-3% of universities provide any sort of meaningful network value.

If you live in Houston, probably a lot.
by EricCartman  (2024-02-23 10:42:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If you live in Seattle, probably not that much.

On a national level, only a handful of schools will qualify here. On a regional level, the network effect is much greater.

We also must distinguish between networking with alumni and networking with friends that you made along the way.

I think that there is value here. Like everything else, it varies between the different universities.