What if the contract changes?
by czeche (2024-02-23 10:53:11)

In reply to: The "affluence" of the HS doesn't matter  posted by El Kabong

When I started medical school, tuition was $20k per year and loans were approx 2%.

Tuition increased by 20+% per year while I was in school, and congress passed a law after my first year that loans were fixed at 6.8%, I think it was.

Yes, I can pay and have been, in fact I've paid enough that I would have paid off the original "contract." So, if we're talking contracts, it's worth remembering that there were some sweetheart deals (for the loan guarantors) that changed things midstream.

I wonder how many of those getting forgiveness have paid more than the original loan? I would not be surprised if if was a sizeable number.

But your actions/response did not change *
by El Kabong  (2024-02-23 11:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'm simply pointing out the change
by czeche  (2024-02-23 12:20:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Speaking of some "contract" doesn't really apply. Do you feel that now that some lens are forgiven, these must continue to be forgiven because that is now the "contract" students are operating under?

Personally, I still would have started medical school under those conditions. Of course, anyone who already has was already in enough debt it was necessary to go through.

My point is simply that national policy on this stuff has not always favored the student, the student has been quite disfavored during my time.