Didn’t they experience the consequences?
by vermin05 (2024-02-23 11:28:08)

In reply to: So, because we have a financially illiterate population,  posted by catripledomer

These people have been paying for 10+ years monthly, on time, and without fail. Is it truely fair to shackle someone with debt in perpetuity for a mistake they made likely before or just after they reached 18 years old. You all sound incredibly heartless.

Not heartless
by catripledomer  (2024-02-23 11:35:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Just tired of the attitude that it is okay to spend other people's money, especially on something that the federal government doesn't have a constitutional mandate to provide. I am also a big believer that people are accountable for their own decisions. Letting people off the hook for good behavior is not letting them feel the consequences of their decisions. It is making other people feel the consequences.

You're taking me back to 2008...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-02-23 14:09:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...and making me wish we had tarred and feathered a few of those many bad actors who were let off the hook; it would have been a good spectator sport.

I’ll consider this being excessive
by vermin05  (2024-02-23 11:44:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

-When we stop subsidizing mortgage rates to keep them low and allow people to buy houses they shouldn’t
-Give small businesses tax benefits to bail out failed entrepreneurs

I don’t see how this is fundamentally different. And I’m speaking as someone who fully paid off a six digit student loan with no bailout.

It's not fundamentally different
by catripledomer  (2024-02-23 11:46:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And you didn't ask my opinion on those topics.

No, we as a population shouldn't subsidize those things. How much of other people's money is enough? Where do we draw the line? Why is it even a consideration that responsible people should be forced to pay for those that are irresponsible?