They should create a system where if you make good faith
by FaytlND (2024-02-23 13:11:37)
Edited on 2024-02-23 13:30:36

In reply to: If we go this direction, then we need to change how loans...  posted by EricCartman

efforts to repay the unsecured loan over a period of time, particularly if that loan facilitates some broader value to society (which we might define in a variety of ways), the remainder is discharged.

EDIT: And I'll add this here to not go into another post subthread. I see your other points about "too many people in college". How do we fix that problem? Yeah, the world needs ditch diggers too. But who is going to decide who gets to go to college and who gets to be shuffled off into some other job? Fixing that system is bigger than the way colleges and universities are run, how much they cost, or the way counseling in high school happens.

Sure, we could adapt some European or Asian model where access to University-level curricula is rigidly guided by performance on exams or in school. However doing something like that now would lead to wildly inequitable outcomes. We'd need to tear things down and start at kindergarten to find some way to provide equal footing for potential access to those opportunities. And don't get me wrong. I'd be all for that. I just don't think there's any appetite for it.

Replies: