Wasn't that what was determined in Bartenwerfer v Buckley?
by dulac89 (2024-03-18 16:36:39)

In reply to: If he files for bankruptcy, wouldn’t the automatic stay be  posted by Manor76

That if the defendant is found guilty of fraud that their debt cannot be discharged in bankruptcy?

Not really
by ratinatux  (2024-03-18 18:56:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Actually that case was about a debtor’s debt for money that was procured by fraud not of the debtor but of a non-debtor third party, but for which the third larty was liable. There seems at least an analytical difference between a debt procured by fraud and a debt for a penalty owed to the government for having committed the fraud. But in any event — that does not tackle the automatic stay issue at all, and whether there could be a collection despite a pending bankruptcy

Are you a lawyer? *
by ACross  (2024-03-18 17:48:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Nope, that’s why I’m asking the question. I remember seeing
by dulac89  (2024-03-18 23:31:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That decision discussed when the issue first came up of how Trump would cover the required bond to appeal. The opinion I read felt that the Supreme Court ruling would prevent Trump from avoiding posting bond by declaring bankruptcy. I’m legitimately asking the question.

Bankruptcy law is a different world
by ACross  (2024-03-19 00:05:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I don’t know the answer