No, but we should get more people interested in doing so
by El Kabong (2024-03-20 14:07:58)

In reply to: Should the US adopt mandatory voting similar to Australia?  posted by BigBadBrewer

Per below, people showing up because of an incentive, whether positive or negative, isn't going to drive good results.

I would prefer there be more interested, informed voters, especially when it comes to primaries. IL had one of its lowest turnouts ever, probably because the Presidential primary was already decided. I think having all the primaries on one day would help this.

I'd be very supportive of primary reform.
by BigBadBrewer  (2024-03-20 20:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Iowa, NH, and SC deserve no special consideration whatsoever.

Perhaps randomize the order and announce it 3 months beforehand?

I think all primaries should be open.
by BottleofRed  (2024-03-20 22:12:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Everyone still only gets one ballot but unaffiliated voters are not excluded from the process.

How do you prevent spiking primaries?
by ravenium  (2024-03-21 13:54:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I get that the answer may well be "you don't" but the fact that the Dems fed 2 million to Moreno's primary campaign is both stupid and playing with fire. I despise the idea of "prop up the weakest candidate so we win in the general", because it can backfire and get you a lot of what we have today.