I think your categoric and monolithic characterization
by ufl (2024-03-22 08:40:50)
Edited on 2024-03-22 11:33:55

In reply to: The Catholic Church calls abortion intrinsically evil.  posted by jfs86

of the position of Democrats on abortion is incorrect.

I have also missed the Democratic calls for eliminating the First Amendment,

edit: It is true that the parties have staked out their positions on abortion. There are few, if any, pro-life Democrats left and few, if any, pro choice Republicans left. If you view abortion as the deciding issue for you, it’s plausible that you don’t want to vote for any Democrat.

However, I think you can make that point without grossly distorting their position.

There have been prior discussions here about
by jfs86  (2024-03-22 15:36:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

amending the constitution to change the second amendment. Some calling for repeal or sever restrictions.

Regarding the first amendment there have been many calls for restrictions.
The DHS was planning on creating a group to handle disinformation and misinformation. The FBI told the social media companies to clamp down on COVID and Hunter's laptop posts.

I only mentioned them to compare to the Democratic Party's strong abortion policies. I have said abortion is the most important, to the point it is greater than 50% weighting, on determining who I will vote for.

The accusation is that it is merely an excuse to vote for Trump. I voted against Hillary, I voted against Biden and I will vote against Biden again.

So the dubious stuff you mention in paragraph two
by ufl  (2024-03-22 18:12:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

is what supports your claim that Democrats want to “eliminate” the first smendment?

Abortion is important to you and on that issue, you don’t intend to vote for Democrats. Perhaps you could stop there rather justifying your choice with unsupported apocalyptic claims.

Here is Bill Press' op-ed on repealing second amendment.
by Jfs86  (2024-03-23 07:05:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The point I am trying to make is abortion appears to be more important to Democrats than the first and second amendments. People can vote against Democrats on policy.

The poster I responded to said evil. And accused me of using it as an excuse to vote for Trump.

I got the point you were trying to make the first time
by ufl  (2024-03-23 08:38:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

You seem to have missed mine: That your claims, as they apply to the position of the Democratic party on the first amendment spring pretty much from your determination to believe them.

So, a woman somewhere, makes a decision you don’t know
by The Holtz Room  (2024-03-22 17:15:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

about, but having someone like Trump (who has already shown his colors) is preferable to something that doesn’t affect you?

I’m not saying vote for Biden, but I don’t see why you’d vote for Trump.

Maybe the jf in the handle stands for Jerry Falwell. *
by Slotts  (2024-03-22 09:33:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Yeah, that's helpful. Good grief some people on this....
by Marine Domer  (2024-03-22 15:44:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Board need to learn the value of an unexpressed thought.

Yeah, that's me, because I post so much on here. *
by Slotts  (2024-03-22 16:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It was more of a general comment....
by Marine Domer  (2024-03-22 16:38:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I don't love drive buy poster slams. I see you've indicated you were joking, so my apologies.

What part of my comments led you to wonder if I am
by jfs86  (2024-03-22 15:17:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Jerry Falwell?

Like many here, I am a practicing Catholic. Like many here I went to Notre Dame knowing it was a Catholic school. Fr. Hesburgh liked to say "The Catholic university is where the Church does its thinking." I assumed he included ND.

So, is the fact that I follow the Church's teaching, on one of the most important issues, make me out to be Jerry Falwell?

Do you believe the Church is wrong on abortion? Do you think it is no big deal?

It was a freaking joke. *
by Slotts  (2024-03-22 16:03:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

hopefully not Falwell, jr
by jt  (2024-03-22 12:32:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

although some people are into that sort of thing, I suppose.