My suggestion is that…
by IrishApache (2024-03-31 10:26:30)

In reply to: For the last, well forever, the White House  posted by Kali4niaND

When you are a candidate for national office, that you maintain as broad of an appeal as possible.

And that when you need to win Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania, you don’t gift your opposition easy lay-ups.

I be willing to bet though that one of Biden’s staffers framed it exactly as you did.

Next year
by wcnitz  (2024-04-01 12:16:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Easter is on 4/20, so it's that, official weed day, and Hitler's birthday. I think they should move the Trans Visibility day to 4/20 next year just to have a nice venn diagram that allows everyone to celebrate - from all quadrants of the political and social spectrum. True unity!

Maybe Biden thought it was the right thing to do.
by kormal  (2024-03-31 23:09:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Simple as that.

Ignoring Trans Day of Visibility because acknowledging trans peoples’s existence might piss off people who celebrate Easter is pretty much at the heart of why such a day is needed in the first place. Because everyone’s feelings get prioritized over a trans person’s right to exist.

Regardless of the overall merits
by ratinatux  (2024-04-01 10:21:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

There is a yawning chasm between making a presidential proclamation and … not recognizing a person’s right to exist, and that sort of rhetoric is not effective argument and just serves as a way for people who already agree with you to pat themselves on the back and cast anyone who doesnt agree with you as essentially transcidal/not recognizng trans people’s right to exist.

The irony seems self-evident to me.
by kormal  (2024-04-01 12:20:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

People are presumably upset because 1) Biden acknowledged Trans Day of Visibility and 2) that happened on Easter this year.

The whole point of the day is to acknowledge that trans people exist. So it’s deeply ironic that the argument seems to be Biden shouldn’t acknowledge this because of people who might be offended by the acknowledgement. That’s pretty much the point of having the day in the first place.

As to the rest of your nonsense I haven’t accused anyone of being transcidal.

I think your response makes my point
by ratinatux  (2024-04-01 12:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Your original post talks about people’s preferences being put over trans people’s “right to exist.” Your response to me says you never said anything about people being transcidal. Either I do not understand what a subjugation of a “right to exist” means (surely possible, but right to exist seems to have a clear meaning), or you used hyperbole that does not match your intended meaning.

Well said. *
by sorin69  (2024-04-01 12:18:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

He's had a public proclamation on this date every year
by AquinasDomer  (2024-04-01 10:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Of his presidency. Not having it this year would send a message that we value trans people except when it might hurt us politically.

I could see your point if this was the first year. But it'd be conspicuous to not do so this year.

Because the feelings of certain people
by kormal  (2024-04-01 12:50:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

(Namely, a subset of outraged Christians) matter more than the worth of trans people. Fundamentally that’s the argument, as far as I can tell.

Are you responding to the right post?
by ratinatux  (2024-04-01 10:33:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

My post was expressly not about the merits, on which I tend to agree, but about the way in which the poster I replied to argued it

If a presidential proclamation is so critical
by IrishApache  (2024-04-01 06:18:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

to acknowledging a trans person's right to exist... Biden had plenty of other days to choose from.