I'm not setting up strawmen, at least in the traditional
by Tex Francisco (2024-04-03 10:45:04)

In reply to: My problem is not the lack of footnotes  posted by ufl

sense of the word which implies some level of dishonesty or manipulation. In this thread and the one below, I'm stating opinions or beliefs that I believe to be common and prevalent even if not predominant. I'm happy to hear alternative opinions or to be proven wrong. You seem to be harassing me for not meeting your burden of proof more than debating, which does not make for a fun or compelling message board IMO.

Allow me
by ACross  (2024-04-04 19:52:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think ufl puts too fine a point on it. I think you are a little fucked in the head. You still worry about SAT scores and law school ranks and all sorts of things that long ago should have faded into Bolivian.

So too your strange notion of blue collar and white collar. I think electricians and firefighters and carpenters and other trades and the like have it all figured out. Start earning $100k by age 22, do not pass go, do not pay $400k in tuition. Retire by 50. Fuckin A.

I was noting a pattern...see my post below
by ufl  (2024-04-03 10:51:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Attributing unstated views to folks on the other side of the political divide seems a lot like setting up straw men to me. Perhaps my terminology is imperfect but I don't think it implies that such attribution is insincere.

One may sincerely demonize other folks. Although I don't think you crossed the line into demonization, I don't think the sincerety one's opinions of other folks' private views is the crucial issue.