Pretty vague stuff
by ufl (2024-04-04 08:25:12)

In reply to: I’d encourage you to listen to the podcast.  posted by ndsapper

I think the author has a better feel for the mood of non-college educated Americans than insight into which policies would (a) help them or (b) convince them that they would be helpful.

I was listening to a podcast recently and they were
by wpkirish  (2024-04-04 09:51:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

discussing the very real reasons why rural area voters are dissatisfied loss of population, loss of jobs. Mentioned the most recent cenus was the first time the majority of counties lost population.

They discussed the fact while Republicans have tapped into that dissatisfaction for votes but have not proposed policis that would reverse those issues. Belief was if Dems would speak to policies that might address them they have an opportunituy for votes.

Sounds very plausible but
by ufl  (2024-04-04 10:05:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

what are those policies? The Republicans reduce corporate taxes and try to kill Obamacare. Yet those counties remain bright red.

Culture wars seem to rule the day. The Democrats could certainly move toward the center on some of those culture war issues but would it do them any good?

I tend to agree with you. I have this book in my cart on
by wpkirish  (2024-04-04 11:52:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Amazon for my next order. I have already purchased White Rural Rage in which the authors' (based upon a podcast where I heard them interviewed) views more are closer to ours. It will be interesting to read them back to back and compare the ideas.

Totally off topic I am very excited that a Barnes and Noble is opening a 5 minute walk from my house so I can stop feeding the Amazon beast for books.