Are there any Dems? Two wrongs don't make a right, but
by Freight Train (2024-04-10 08:38:51)

In reply to: Are there any R's willing to buck the party line?  posted by AquinasDomer

polarization cuts both ways. There is no room for compromise by either side. You get primaried, and in the case of the GOP, buried by Trump on social media, if you dare buck the party line.

Our government is a disgrace.

The maximalist dem position is a winner
by AquinasDomer  (2024-04-10 09:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

When compared to the maximalist R one. I don't know why the dems would back off a return to Roe position when it's their best issue.

The politician quoted here calling for a 15 week referendum was pushing bills that would have pushed for legal personhood starting at conception. The former governor of Arizona packed the court and appointed the majority that decided this (but is acting surprised at the outcome).

Until the R's in a state can be reliably seen as supporting moderate positions, who's going to trust them to stay moderate on abortion once they get power?

And as I posted below the ballot initiative is basically
by wpkirish  (2024-04-10 09:15:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

a state version of Roe. Yes as others commented out like Michigan's initiative it permits in the case of physical or mental harm to the mother but I have enough respect for women who have endured 8 months of pregnancy to believe they are not flippant about the decision and enough respect for medical professionals to not assume they will just go along with terminating a pregnancy in the 8th month.

Republicans are blocking votes to repeal the 1864 law
by AquinasDomer  (2024-04-10 18:10:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

"But Republican leaders in the Senate removed one bill from the day’s agenda on Wednesday, legislative aides said. In the other chamber, a Republican House member who has done a political about-face and called for striking down the law made a motion to vote on a Democratic repeal bill that has sat stalled for months. But Republican leaders quickly put the House into recess before any vote could be held."

They didn't have the votes
by shillelaghhugger  (2024-04-11 13:29:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

So there was no point in putting it up on the board. Dems had missing members and a vacancy. Alternatively, there aren't enough GOP willing to cross over. But I'm thinking if Dems all wanted to show up, they have the votes to repeal. Strategically, I don't think the Dems will actually vote on it because it's better politics for them.