This happened twice at PDX
by ravenium (2024-04-15 15:43:06)
Edited on 2024-04-15 15:43:22

In reply to: Rough morning if you're trying to fly out of ORD  posted by rflor

Thankfully the second time the Port of Portland cops were a bit better prepared and kept things flowing. I believe today they are outside of Intel near Portland, which will be hilarious as last time they picketed the entrance nobody used.

I don't wish to wade into the Israel vs Gaza stuff, but I'd like to bitch for a moment about the idea these folks seem to have that "protests shouldn't be convenient", and that somehow if you are inconvenienced enough you will somehow demand to your local congressperson to see it their way.

They seem to like to cite civil rights protests and MLK. MLK had a permit in Selma! Sure, it took a court order, but he had one.

People who were alive in the 60s can probably tell me a heck of a lot better, but my understanding is that when you protested, you directly protested the people who were doing the wrong (e.g. segregated lunch counters). The subsequent overreaction and brutal mistreatment is what brought people around to joining their side, not pissing them off. Nobody had a sit in at a Woolworth's in Chicago, did they?

Replies: