As a general proposition? No...(EDIT)...
by Kbyrnes (2024-04-16 13:06:12)
Edited on 2024-04-16 13:45:31

In reply to: Are covid masks just a signal of woke purity at this point ?  posted by crazychester

...That's crazy, chester. The posts below are accurate, I think--some might wear them at public protests to mask their identity. Some might have physical conditions or perceptions that dispose them to wearing masks. There is also some documented (via polling) distrust of the government and/or vaccinations particularly among Blacks and Latinos that has led to less uptake of COVID vaccinations and more mask-wearing as there is still some perception of COVID risk.

My anecdotal observations: Our Jewel grocery store at York and Butterfield on the south side of Elmhurst, IL is patronized not only by residents of the pretty lily-white Elmhurst but also from the nearby Cook County suburbs of Hillside and Berkeley, which have higher ratios of Black residents, whom I see in that store regularly. I would say maybe 15% to 25% of the Black shoppers are wearing masks, while I virtually never see a paleface wearing one. It doesn't move me one way or the other.

EDIT: Further anecdotal observations; to airborneirish's point, I was the subject of attempted muggings twice when I lived in Hyde Park (Chicago) eons ago, and each time they were wearing knit caps pulled low. So I guess my conclusion would be--you; can't generalize about why someone would wear a mask.

"Hi-ho Silver---away!"

Replies: