Honest question not trying to be an asshole
by wpkirish (2024-04-16 15:54:01)

In reply to: That's not far fetched. Here is a course at my kids HS:  posted by Dutch

Do you have an issue with a class like this being taught? If they took our the word inequity and said something like students will research and present on topics related to issues of concern in today's society would you feel differently about the class? What if they replaced inequity with an issue you care about and believe is important to

Last week in his social studies class my 9th grade son's teacher held his annual protest simulation. Slightly different format in that he asigns each student a character and gives them a list of issues people faced in 19th century England. The class then has to form coalitions and stage a rally outside to advocate for their beliefs.

I recognize that is different from the class you described and I would even say I would like the class better if it didnt soley focus on inequity. We often read and hear complaints that too many in our society lack basic civics knowledge. Protest and protesters have helped to drive some of the most important and consequentiual changes in our history and likely will continue to do so in the future. Is that something worthy of study in your view?

Replies: