I think as others have said, it starts locally
by ravenium (2024-04-16 18:15:10)

In reply to: But how do you change the system?  posted by El Kabong

It takes a shitload of money to get anything moved in politics, so you start locally. Run as an independent with a clear record, meet people, work your ass off. Win an election, find other like minded people, form a coalition. Eventually you get backing and can win regional elections.

This can be made easier by better voting rules. Ranked choice (whatever flavor) allows you say "look, I'm not crazy about this Biden guy, but he's still more preferable to Trump". You can have your protest vote and still have the better of two scenarios.

Over time this would allow for vote capture by third parties. How many people do you think would cast a Libertarian or Green party vote if they didn't think they were throwing away their vote? I'll bet it's a lot.

I would take issues with MD's suggestion that I am advocating a "moral" decision - I think it's more that there is a guy who's clearly a bad idea to the very fabric of our republic. If you live in a profoundly "blue" or "red" state, ok fine, I get it - your agency ain't a lot under our current system. Go nuts, vote your conscience. However, if you're in a swing state, you have the ability to influence the outcome, and I hope you can bring yourself to vote against Trump in some capacity.

Since Oregon is usually Biden +1000, I'm tempted to vote for Geddy Lee.