If so, that's a ridiculous oversimplification
by El Kabong (2024-04-17 11:31:22)

In reply to: Because he believes a full purge is needed  posted by gregmorrissey

MAGA isn't going away, at least not any time soon. It's not like the nitwits in places like MTG and Gaetz's districts suddenly will have road-to-Damascus moments and stop believing the nonsense they believe.

Those people always existed, they just existed as a minority within the Republican party up until now. The only solution is to withhold votes from their candidates until the movement recedes into the background again, not to keep normal Republicans out of positions of power where they might do some good. Discouraging normal Republicans means they end up walking away and the task of getting rid of MAGA's becomes much more difficult.

If a Hogan-type was in my district, I'd crawl over broken glass to vote for him.

I'd love to vote for a normal Republican.
by Revue Party  (2024-04-17 11:56:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The closest thing I have is John Cornyn and he's not up for a while.

As noted earlier, I voted in the Texas Republican primary and left most of the boxes blank. It was truly a vote for "Quien es mas loco?" I voted against one guy I spoke to because he was clearly a disphit but little did I know that the guy I ended up voting for was 10x worse.

I think Ted Cruz might actual have a fight on his hands. Beto should've beaten him but Beto's not that bright. Allred is much smarter. Cruz's ace in the hole is probably the presidential election. The Red Hat ACP will be out in droves.

BoardOps: Red Hat ACP to the RHG. *
by ArasEra  (2024-04-17 13:20:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Sure, your approach only works if Hogan stands up to MAGA
by gregmorrissey  (2024-04-17 11:54:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Not to keeping arguing on Barney's behalf, but I can understand his argument for the purge. Basically, the Republican party must be totally destroyed in order for it to be rebuilt.

Personally, I don't think he's right for the reasons that you mention -- MAGA's red state grip is not going away. Combined with the power of stupidity, MAGA wins if Hogan wins or loses. If he loses, then it's a point in their argument (at least, I assume it will be their argument) that Hogan is a RINO and the next candidate there will be full MAGA. If he wins, then he's a Republican/MAGA vote. MAGA only loses if Hogan wins and has the stones to stand up to MAGA. Are there ten Republicans that have been able to pull that off and win re-election?

Is there any chance he votes against the party if Trump wins the election? I just don't see it. Trump and his supporters would make every part of his life a living hell.

In a tightly controlled Senate, one person can do a lot.
by EricCartman  (2024-04-17 13:34:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Look at Manchin or Sinema recently, or the Gang of Six from years ago, or the ACA vote wrangling process. When every vote counts, a centrist can leverage their vote to extract concessions and alter the bill.

Hogan seems like someone that would join a new Gang of Six to push forward a bi-partisan bill aimed at fixing one of our numerous problems. Look at his rational for entering the race:

“I still don’t have any burning desire to be a senator. I wasn’t looking for a title. I don’t need a job. But I’m just so frustrated with how broken our political system is,” Hogan said in an interview with CNN during a campaign stop at a food market in Baltimore last week. “George Bush was a pretty good salesperson trying to convince me that the party and the country needed me, and I would have had an important voice that I can make a difference.”

Someone that doesn't want the job is the exact person that we need. We have plenty of power hungry pols running around DC already, we don't need another one.

Is your position he doesn't already know those things?
by El Kabong  (2024-04-17 12:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

To the contrary, I'm quite sure he's aware of everything you've said.

He's shown no inclination to work with Trump before, why would he suddenly start doing it now?

And what would be the point of MAGA primary-ing him in Maryland? They have absolutely zero traction there.

To be clear, I don't have a position
by gregmorrissey  (2024-04-17 12:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I don't subscribe to Barney's stance. People should vote for whoever (whomever?) they want. I don't know anything about Hogan beyond this thread. If he's as you and others have described then I hope he wins as I lean toward the notion that principled, moderate Republicans are the key to defeating MAGA or at least keeping it in check. I guess I'm just skeptical that he will cross party lines to vote moderate.

Of course, Hogan is aware of everything I said. It's his career, and I'm barely even a political observer. But, also, it's his career. MAGA can "defeat" him without primary-ing him. They can keep him off desired committees, cut him off from any party financing, etc. Those are just the behind the scenes things.