"Wait wait" is still hanging around *
by gozer (2024-04-17 16:15:22)

In reply to: When I lived in Boston, it was part of my commute  posted by ravenium

This user did not provide content for this post

Wait wait *is* political
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-17 17:28:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It's always been a politically tinged, frequently unfunny, news-cum-entertainment bit.

Hell, your chances of making it through The Splendid Table (now far less splendid without Lynne Rossetto Kasper) these days without a weird progressive sidebar is way lower than it should be for a cooking show.

Car Talk was reduced to reruns at most years ago: Tom Magliozzi died in 2014.

The great weekend shows of yesterday are all gone: My Word (and its shorter-lived younger sibling, My Music), its far-less-funny American imitator Says You, and Prairie Home Companion (which became awkwardly, bitterly political in its later years as well). The NPR affiliate here even dropped the Metropolitan Opera matinee. They don't even carry it on the digital-only band.

Maeve Higgins is a national treasure. *
by OGerry  (2024-04-18 23:28:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Ask Me Another (RIP) was a much better show
by irishlaw2010  (2024-04-18 08:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The hosts were just as liberal as the Wait Wait lineup (Peter Sagal and the panelists) but they spent their time actually asking quiz questions and doing the games!

The people on Wait Wait spend more than 75% of the show sniffing their own rhetorical farts.

Unfortunately, they canceled Ask Me Another in 2021. The Sunday Puzzle feature with Will Shortz is still good but the news coverage around it is such shit (the comment below mocking such stories as "Is Pickleball hurting black trans women?" is hyperbolic but only slightly) that I rarely listen to it anymore. I catch it every now in then in my podcast feed as a short 5-6 minute brainteaser.

I remember that one
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-18 15:02:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Yes, it was better.

Ok, I have a question to that
by ravenium  (2024-04-17 17:38:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I honestly thought it was just sort of dad jokes about politics, but maybe it's not as funny if it's not in accord with one's political leanings? I'm not sure.

For non-NPR humor:

My problem is that I am positive Greg Gutfield is just not funny, but it's not because his politics are different than mine.

I did not care for Jon Stewart's The Problem, but I think his return to the Daily Show has been great because 1. he has better writers and 2. He's willing to skewer the shit out of both parties for the most part.

I'm ok with Oliver, but I think he partially broke in 2020 and tends to go off on off tangents like "don't watch cop shows, they're unrealistic" and "here's why court packing is good".

I think Maher is sort of a jackass but I think he can be funny when he's not being a total dick. He seems to hit both parties.

What do you find funny in terms of that area of comedy?

The no-audience shows broke Oliver
by El Kabong  (2024-04-17 20:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Hasn't yet recovered from the Void, but I've been giving him a chance again lately.

That's a good question
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-17 19:10:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I had to look up Greg Gutfield. It's a small sample, but I suspect you are right that he is not funny. I have no idea what his politics are apart from seeing that he appears on Fox News. My general impression---I don't watch cable news of any flavor---is that many, if not all, of the people on Fox are neither humorous nor serious.

And Wait, Wait does feature dad jokes about politics, but in my experience they're jokes told by a rather crass New York secular liberal dad. It's not the kind of thing I can reliably keep on in the car with my kids.

I honestly couldn't name you one person doing current-events humor who I find funny these days. I will grant you that Bill Maher and Jon Stewart have the rhetorical skills to be funny, but while I have heard them land jokes, I have never found them reliably amusing. I don't regularly consume any media put out primarily for its value as humor, and certainly not anything contemporary. So I don't think I have anyone responsive.

I think Click and Clack did retire
by ravenium  (2024-04-17 16:16:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But man, they were gods in the Boston scene in the day.

Forgot to mention Tiny Desk concerts are the beans, too, but they never were part of my commute. It was usually 30-45 minutes of either Fresh Air, All Things Considered, or BBC.

30-45 minutes of BBC?
by jt  (2024-04-17 17:07:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

that's stamina right there. Good for you.

They sucked balls *
by ACross  (2024-04-17 17:06:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

They did
by mocopdx  (2024-04-17 17:11:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

My parents insisted on listening to them on the way home from church every Sunday when I was growing up. Even as a 9 year old I had no idea what the appeal was.