Why I'm worried about 2024
by ndsapper (2023-12-28 12:39:18)

I left a drive by post in a previous thread about 2024 scaring the hell out of me, so I thought I would expand on the reasons I'm worried.

Internationally, we have two wars that could escalate, and we're an action or two in the Indo-Pacific area from being tied into combat in three theaters. That could be North Korea getting more aggressive, China pushing into Thailand, or some current unknown. We've lost our strategic flexibility (financial limitations, recruiting, high optempo, among others) and our deterrence (Afghanistan withdrawal, response to attacks in Middle East, response to Houthis missiles, among others) and that provides opportunity to our enemies.

Domestically, we have a population with little faith in its institutions, an uncontrolled border, a horrendous debt/deficit problem, and an upcoming election that, short of someone else winning the Republican primary, could lead to significant domestic disturbance. There are no good outcomes of a President Biden and former-President Trump election cycle. That's not an indictment of their ability to lead, just a belief that in the end ~50% of the nation will think something HAS to be done to right a perceived wrong. There isn't enough faith in our institutions (which COVID, BLM, and the 2020 elections seriously damaged) to mediate a split populace.

Domestic issues exacerbated by the 2024 election cycle, compounded by strategic vulnerability overseas, could make for a very tough year.

Replies: