I agree with you regarding Haley, by the way. In my opinion
by Grace91 (2023-12-28 16:54:12)
Edited on 2023-12-28 17:11:49

In reply to: And what exactly, would be a better process?  posted by sprack

the majority of people who run for office are seeking power rather than to serve, have something to gain from holding the office, or both. You see in primaries that more moderate candidates lose to those who are more extreme. I saw in the news that three politicians were swatted over the past week or so. Regardless of what one thinks about any of them, no one deserves that. Not all good people decline to run, but many do, and for good reason.

I don't have any bright ideas off the top of my head, and am on my phone at the moment, but I'll give it some thought and reply back a bit later.

I do believe that the quality of politicians has decreased in my lifetime. Not that they were saints in the past, but that the overall quality of candidates and therefore elected officials has gotten worse. I see it in the local, county, and state level elections here, not just at the national level.

Edit - I will leave the above as-is for context. Reading through the thread, better points were made by others - it's likely that politicians were not better, but that we had less visibility into every moment. I believe that the degree of scrutiny has caused many to decline to throw their hats in the ring.