DC had a crime trend that compared
by AquinasDomer (2023-12-29 10:44:50)

In reply to: That’s DC being DC. Nothing new. Always incompetent *  posted by MDDomer

Favorably to the rest of the nation pre pandemic. Now it has the worst year over year murder rate climb nationally.

It doesn't seem like more of the same.

Capitols/Wizards leaving
by ndsapper  (2023-12-29 18:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Not surprising as that Chinatown area is not fun anymore. I still go there but it’s a lot different than even 2010.

Local news, almost daily, has a business that is closing because it’s too expensive. And I think that may be a difference between now and when DC was truly dangerous. Now is not as dangerous, many places have gentrified, but the property crime makes it really expensive.

Wasn’t really referring to crime rates but DC being
by MDDomer  (2023-12-29 11:25:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

incompetent. That’s always been the case with the DC government. Nothing new

DC definitely feels like trending in wrong direction.
by Brahms  (2023-12-29 10:51:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

You feel it in many parts of the city. And property theft is pretty brazen right now.

Incompetence, yes, but you also feel people just don’t give a shit. I was in a CVS in NW DC few weeks ago - young kid in a hoodie just came in and threw stuff into his backpack and walked out while clerk watched. Retailers will start pulling out of the worst parts of the city (or start raising prices), with tears about food deserts and resource deprivations.