Having said all that...
by El Kabong (2023-12-29 12:40:33)

In reply to: I agree with everything you wrote. To add just a bit to it,  posted by Barney68

...(all of which I completely agree with, FWIW), why is Lincoln considered OK for having had to "walk a tightrope" as airborne said, but Haley's efforts to walk that same tightrope seem to be cause for disqualification by some?

If I get the chance to vote for her, I definitely will.

I am unbothered by Haley's tightrope walking. It was ...
by Barney68  (2023-12-29 20:40:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

her fealty to Trump that made me feel she wasn't presidential timber. It wasn't walking a tightrope, it was all-in.

Of all the folks running for the GOP nomination, I put her in first or second place. Since she appears to be the most likely alternative to Trump, and she appears to have stopped drinking the Kool-Aid, maybe there's hope.

She served while the confederate flag and monuments came
by airborneirish  (2023-12-30 01:34:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Down. She is a first generation American. It’s silly to ascribe confederate sympathies to her. She’s a serviceable candidate.

Gaffes
by AquinasDomer  (2023-12-29 13:55:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Become important when they highlight issues or problems the candidate already has. This hilights a lot of her issues. Being prone to pandering, needing to appeal to MAGA types while keeping old school republicans/independents united with her.

The slavery issue also serves as a signal for issues of race and how one sees racial issues in the past and present. It's why people are still fighting over monuments and military bases dedicated to Confederate generals.