Maine secretary of state rules Trump ineligible for
by krudler (2023-12-29 13:44:55)

2024 ballot. It seems Colorado (at least for now) has him back on the ballot and Michigan declined to remove him.

What are the elements of insurrection and what standards
by airborneirish  (2023-12-30 15:57:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Dictate jurisdiction, venue, burden of proof etc? This is insane. Anyone applauding this behavior can’t see further than their own nose.

Agree *
by ndsapper  (2023-12-30 20:12:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

As much as I loathe Trump, I have to agree with you. *
by Manor76  (2023-12-30 16:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Ditto. *
by IrishApache  (2023-12-31 13:22:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If allowed, I wonder if it's not short-sighted
by SixShutouts66  (2023-12-29 19:39:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

For those states that are affected, I would think that the GOP state leaders would tell the state not to bother counting the votes and hold its own smoky room method to allocate convention votes. I suspect that this method is even more favorable to Trump than an open vote.

For the general election, assuming Trump is the nominee and the GOP were to win the state, there seems to be little benefit to the Democrats (i.e. no additional Rlectoral college votes).

Jared Golden and Angus King
by AquinasDomer  (2023-12-29 21:25:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Have come out against it. Does she think this is going to help her win a primary in the future?

I think she thinks it will. She can get her 15 minutes of
by krudler  (2023-12-30 14:14:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

fame and do the rounds on CNN and MSNBC and become a temporary hero to the left. Short-sighted but this is what a lot of our politics have become. The loudest yellers going out there to "own" the other side get most of the attention unfortunately. Without social media and 24/7 partisan news people like her, AOC, Omar, Tlaib, Jayapal, Gaets, Greene, Boebert, Jordan, and plenty of other buffoons would be relegated to the fringe where they belong instead of getting amplified.

It is interesting that even on what would be considered "favorable" venues for her like CNN and MSNBC she seems to have gotten at least a few real questions about the ramifications and legality of this, albeit with minimal followups, indicating this kind of thing might not be as popular as she thinks outside the extreme left.

California decided against it
by AquinasDomer  (2023-12-30 14:55:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think she's really miscalculated it's appeal in Maine. Even California lefties don't think it's a winning play.

No single person should have the authority to keep
by MDDomer  (2023-12-30 16:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

anyone off a ballot let alone one who views the Electoral College as a ‘relic of white supremacy’. I can’t stand Trump and these types of idiocy will only ensure that he’s the Republican candidate and help him win in 2024

isn't it just the primary? *
by ravenium  (2023-12-29 17:43:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A SoS issuing a ruling?
by shillelaghhugger  (2023-12-29 15:31:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I don’t know the specific legal authority granted to the Maine SoS, but the concept of their office issuing binding legal rulings, like an AG, struck me as odd.

I suppose a SoS can apply the law within their scope, but in this instance it would seem the more natural approach would be to litigate or ask the AG to rule.