I just meant normal in the dichotomy between...
by Kbyrnes (2023-12-30 10:36:08)
Edited on 2023-12-30 10:38:06

In reply to: I don’t think she’s “normal”  posted by acrossdmiddle

..."normal" and "abnormal." I didn't give her a C! (And thank you for the unwarranted compliment--I wouldn't pretend to be able to administer a state, a job that Haley has taken on.)

My assessment of her was rather glib, I'll admit, but I have viewed several of her speeches and looked at her website and can't find any white papers that logically and persuasively lay out her plans; instead, she has 3- to 10-line (or so) nuggets of text touting her achievements. One of these was to extend concealed carry rights into bars and restaurants, a cause that was just crying out for correction, I'm sure.

My assessment of these politicians goes back to my high school debate scoring sheet, where you were rated on topics such as:

--How well-organized your argument was
--How effectively you used logic and evidence to support your argument
--How well you demonstrated a grasp of the issues and evidence
--How well you rebutted the adverse argument (see the three points above)
--How well you delivered your argument (rhetorical aspects)

Her public presentation is not on a par with Reagan or Bill Clinton, for example; she's more on a par with HRC and Amy Klobuchar, each of whom I thought were not exactly brilliant speakers. Bolloxing up the answer to a public forum question about what caused the Civil War is kind of on a par with goofing up what HRC meant to say about coal mines. Being able to think on your feet and give cogent answers is impressive; floundering, not so much so (I give Joe Biden about a B- as well).

She may know a lot, and to the extent she's an international policy wonk that could offset her only passable public presentation style; but she has to show the world how smart she is.