Agree.
by IAND75 (2023-12-30 22:48:39)

In reply to: Ya know, all Collins and Fauci were trying to do  posted by sprack

Pretty much every doc in America began their virology education, and a good portion of their internal medicine education, with Fauci. If he isn’t the smartest and most experienced virologist in the US (or world), he is in the top 5. At the time he was the best authority we had, in a situation that was novel. And despite the huge number of people who died it could have easily been much, much worse.

The other thing that people conveniently forget is that we had a total moron leading us as President. He and his minions did everything they could to undermine the nation’s confidence in the health professionals who were doing the best they could in a very fluid and confusing situation. If we had a normal person as President, any of the Presidents in my lifetime, they could have helped the nation deal with the ambiguities and complexity of the pandemic. We likely could have reacted more rationally and rapidly. Instead, we got more bombastic polarization.

Which leads me to try and answer the challenge of BI’s post.

I don’t know what I would do if I were President to address the big problems we face. I’m not sure that the President can unilaterally do anything to really fix those issues. Most, if not all, require the cooperation of Congress. Effective governing appears to be beyond the capability, or at least desire, of those in power in the House and Senate.