Jesus man
by airborneirish (2023-12-31 12:54:27)
Edited on 2023-12-31 12:58:46

In reply to: “Never again” is precisely the wrong lesson learned.  posted by IAND75

I am not wasting time relitigating my conclusion. Simply put, the response was awful. That doesn’t mean the response would be appropriate give a different set of facts. The mask mandate ended in Chicago in February of 2022. Allowing local despots to abuse emergency powers and treat citizens worse than criminals is something that should only be tolerated in the most extreme of circumstances.

Old people dying a couple of years early because they have metabolic disease isn’t a valid justification for such outcomes. Holding out anecdotes about a few people who didn’t fit that profile doesn’t change the data. Further, there is no evidence any of these measures did anything. We knew early that COVID hit in waves and whom it impacted most.

Whatever.

It's projected that we could have prevented 50,000 deaths.
by ewillND  (2024-01-02 13:31:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

With a hard (not soft) lockdown two weeks (two weeks!) earlier. Was that worth it? I guess it depends on whether or not it was one of your parents.

Whatever.

The response was fine
by ACross  (2023-12-31 23:34:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

You really need to be less emotional about the issue.

He needs to be less emotional about many issues.
by arasera  (2024-01-01 15:51:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Anger management and tranquilizers would definitely help.

A quarter of covid deaths
by AquinasDomer  (2023-12-31 14:06:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Were under 65. That's an expected death curve for any pandemic with modern medicine at least until the health care system breaks down.

Be responsive
by airborneirish  (2023-12-31 14:59:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

You say that as if the ridiculous measures that were enacted and remained in place through 2022 had any ameliorative impact or reduced that harm.

They did not. Through June of 2020 carte Blanche was warranted. After that measured skepticism was healthy. After the vaccine was released every ridiculous measure should have been subjected to strict scrutiny. They were not. They persisted and now the government will be viewed with heavy skepticism the next time there is an emergency.

Such skepticism will be warranted.

June? Really?
by ewillND  (2024-01-02 13:33:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The first vaccine was approved in December. You have no fucking idea, and don't pretend that you do. I know that you are ignoring me, so I don't expect you to reply. Don't really care, actually--you are the world expert on everything, so I am probably wrong.

I'm specifically talking about national figures
by AquinasDomer  (2023-12-31 18:49:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Like Fauci, Birx and the CDC. They put out guidelines for reopening safely. Trump countered with wanting everything open without help. You then got polarized responses. Included in that were idiots closing beaches, masking 2 yeas old etc.

I will say that once you got to school aged kids their ability to mask paralleled their parents attitude towards it. Among ny coworkers the kids were better about wearing masks than we were.

Attached is a thread that follows my thought process.

His condescension makes that a challenge to read. He should
by Grace91  (2023-12-31 19:02:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

make his points without being a douchebag about it. Unfortunately, the ability to do so seems to be a thing of the past.

Edit to add - "he" in this context is the author of the thread that you linked.