I question the assertion that "home schoolers ...
by Barney68 (2024-01-01 09:39:54)

In reply to: How about just defending your position, then, and not....  posted by Marine Domer

have every right in the world to raise their kids as they see fit". Ok for the parents, but what about the kids?

The home school movement makes the parental rights argument an absolute. Thus a significant part of our school age children are being educated in an environment that rejects any form of regulation, be it for health, the credentials of the educators, or the curriculum studied. While I'm confident that many of these schooling efforts are doing a good job, I've also seen people with no teaching skills or language capability teaching kids Spanish in their home schooling efforts.

Thus, my concern is about "places where there are not." That includes rejecting some - many- all vaccinations for the kids. Is it the parent's right to put their kid at risk of the diseases that the industrialized world has managed to all but eliminate through vaccination? Note that it was through vaccination that smallpox was eliminated.

Whether you agree or not, there are very serious health and educational effectiveness issues in this. While the parents are making the decisions involved, it is the children who live with the results.

As to cheap shots, do you have any reference whatsoever that disputes my assertion that there is a significant overlap between the home school and anti-vaxx communities? It's fine to just blast away if you want, but an intellectual discussion here requires something beyond simply asserting that I'm either wrong or unfair.