The uptick in crime
by AquinasDomer (2024-01-01 09:51:24)

In reply to: This entire thread has been the usual suspects  posted by WilfordBrimley

Has been a national phenomena. Several southern cities saw big Floyd protests including New Orleans linked below.

They also saw a big spike in murders from a baseline that puts northern cities to shame.

New Orleans is absolutely included in the group that
by WilfordBrimley  (2024-01-01 10:48:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

locked down relatively hard for a suboptimal impact. A Democratic governor in JBE moving contra to his peers nearby with a very liberal mayor in Cantrell being advised by a dipshit public health advisor (and ND grad, unfortunately) in Avegno did a terrible job there. An already incredibly violent city got even more violent thanks to them. Louisville had a similar story that had extra gas thrown on the fire by the Breonna Taylor bullshit.

And none of them sans Louisville had the scale and violence that the protests on the coastal cities and upper Midwest (Chicago and Minneapolis) had. Not even close.

Jackson MS hit an all time murder record in the post Floyd
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-01 14:12:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Year. Red states have seen murder increase at a rate higher than blue states from 2003 to 2023. The jump immediately post Floyd was substantial and even between red and blue states.

I also recall reading about substantial disorder/protesting in the wake of Floyd in Nashville Atlanta and Miami off the top of my head.

Personally I think the rioting vs protesting levels were multifactorial including real slights over police misconduct and prevelance of leftist nutjobs (Portland being the standout there). I recall some very blue areas doing well during that period. Camden was I think a good example as they reformed their police dept. Prior to Floyd and saw fewer issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/6abc.com/amp/new-jersey-protest-camden-george-floyd-peaceful/6223952/

There was barely any protesting in Atlanta, Nashville, and
by WilfordBrimley  (2024-01-01 22:27:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Miami. Nothing in the same universe as Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, New York, etc.

Did those cities have boards on all businesses through
by airborneirish  (2024-01-03 17:26:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

February of 2021? Because we did. It was great living on a live action set of "Iraq... but in Chicago!" for 2 years.

I recall watching CNN
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-01 23:45:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And seeing their headquarters mobbed in Atlanta.

This article mentions the cities I discussed.

Bud, I spent time in both those cities in 2020.
by WilfordBrimley  (2024-01-04 08:30:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A few flash mobs localized to protesting at CNN headquarters was a gnat compared to what happened in Chicago (where I lived for the first half of the year). A few dozen clowns in downtown Nashville tried to declare an autonomous zone similar to Capitol Hill; it lasted all of 5 hours.