Thank you
by vermin05 (2024-01-01 14:27:02)
Edited on 2024-01-01 14:30:47

In reply to: Hey vermin 05  posted by BeijingIrish

I am a physician, but I also graduated a history double major. The story of the people on the front lines is almost always papered over as not enough accounts survive the test of time like the accounts of the generals and politicians to society’s great detriment as I feel most accounts from the higher ups really demphasize the true horrors of war. Thank you for sharing and although I know cliched thank you for what you did.

I hope you know I wasn’t trying to offend you. I still cannot imagine what you went through. I wish I could honor your openness on this subject by sharing some additional details on my Covid experience but unfortunately, that would violate the privacy of the patients I cared for. By invoking your service history I was trying to draw an analogy because while I can’t tell what your personal feelings are I’ve talked to enough veterans to know the vague general feelings most feel. While not trying to say that I experienced those feelings or horrors myself in the same severity, I do know that during 2020 I felt hopeless, and fearful while at the same time isolated from most of society. Something I suspected you had felt in the past in worse severity, and that was what I was trying to convey, no more no less.

We came very close to the health system in this country completely melting down, I mean it did melt down in New York City (sending Covid positive pts to nursing homes, hearing traumas and STEMIs dying on the parking lot) but it didn’t happen again and it’s my sincere belief that it would have if we didn’t lock down. For one thing the safety valve that saved us was traveling nurses who skipped from hot spot to hot spot, if the entire country blew up at once they couldn’t have been the backup, as they would have needed to stay at their home hospital. Thats not even taking into account supply issues.

Additionaly, I’m sorry if I got a bit aggressive anytime someone comes out saying that quarantining was a mistake from the get go I take attacks on the health response personally as it feels like a belittlement of my experience and a lack of empathy to the dead and disabled who got unlucky and got the disease. I know that was not your intent.

Replies: