I think we are closer on this than we both realize
by DBCooper (2024-01-02 16:35:12)
Edited on 2024-01-02 16:37:09

In reply to: lowest common denominator thinking  posted by airborneirish

As I stated to ewill, I don’t think there are any all encompassing decisions that fit all schools, students, teachers, etc. But, to me, in a situation like Covid, which was an unknown situation, it makes more sense to be more cautious in the beginning, and listen to the experts in the field, as opposed to acting quick and listening to people who just want to be opposite of certain political viewpoints.

I think you do minimize the amount of people who have older and comorbid adults in their immediate lives. I assume it’s more prevalent in cities and rural areas and probably more so with low income families. But my wife’s school has plenty of grandparents who are the primary caregivers of the children, as their parent (s), work a lot and are not able to help out with kids in the morning or after school. And they are the lucky ones who have help.

Covid sucked for kids, no one can argue that. My daughter with ADHD was in K for 2020/21, waste, barely had school in 21/22 as class was suspended every time their was a positive Covid test, annoying, and then her second grade was fucked up because her teacher got Covid and never came back (some bad case of Long Covid) and the school screwed up by not getting a new consistent teacher until the spring. But, we will never know if she and her classmates saved lives by not going to school before vaccines.

I’m with you once vaccines were available it should be game on. I just don’t think that should have been easy to say in fall of 2020 and spring of 21 to me is a toss up. But again, some places might have been able to go earlier than others.

I do look at it as sacrifice. Sacrifice this generation had to deal with, just like our lives were fucked up for a while after 9/11, our parents during the Nam draft, and things were messed up during WW2 and the Great Depression for older generations. But, it does make me pause when you, BI and WB, who sacrificed so much for this country, do think we sacrificed way too much for Covid.

But I apologize if I’m being short tempered. I’m still dealing with the Michigan win from last night. It’s mad me an insufferable prick today.

Replies: