Remote learning is useless
by ACross (2024-01-03 20:36:03)

In reply to: I agree that kids need to be in school.  posted by IrishJosh24

I say the same thing about remote depositions.

Ooh, have to disagree there.
by IrishJosh24  (2024-01-04 10:33:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I have had some killer remote depositions.

Yep. I still do most of my deps via Zoom....
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-04 19:10:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I took about a 4 hour Zoom dep of plaintiff's expert in a wrongful death case a couple years ago, and used it to batter him unmercifully at trial to the point he sighed getting off the witness stand. Sometimes it's better to be in person, but I like the flexibility with exhibits that can be shown on screen and shared as PDFs, rather than carrying around voluminous medical records.

Andy is like George Clooney in Up in the Air.

You can't control witnesses via computer
by ACross  (2024-01-05 18:05:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Not even a close call.

I assume if it was 2 years ago, Zoom was the only option.

I also assume (with some personal experience) your clients have guidelines that dictate remote attendance of almost all depositions.

Sure you can. I don’t need to be in a room with someone….
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-07 20:44:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

to get them under control. And I still do Zoom deps weekly. Now if I’m presenting the witness I want to be there. And my clients generally give me a lot of leeway on travel v. Zoom.