I think, when you look closely, her testimony before
by Barrister (2024-01-04 11:25:57)

In reply to: Semi-related: but like clockwork Claudine Gay has an  posted by krudler

Congress, while heavily criticized, was not incorrect.

I think the problem with her answers to Rep. Stefanik's questions regarding whether calling for genocide of Jews violated Harvard's conduct policies wasn't that the response itself is wrong - it really isn't - it's that nobody believes that Harvard would need "context" before punishing similar statements made about other groups on campus (and rightly so - nobody should believe Harvard would need context for other calls for genocide).

Another thing to keep in mind is that the plagiarism allegations were already percolating (and I think under investigation by the Harvard Corporation) *before* her Congressional testimony, I think as soon as late October.

I don't think her instances of plagerism warranted
by fontoknow  (2024-01-04 17:11:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

the scrutiny they recieved. Nobody got tenure writing a good lit review or data and methods section. Almost all of her published work, including those appearing in APSR and AJPS, two of the most imprortant journals in the discipline, utilized a methodological approach called "Ecological Inference" that was developed by her Disertation chair, Gary King. It's not shocking that she used the same, even identicle, language used by King in papers and articles to describe the approach. Lit Reviews are really attempts to tell the audience why the thing you are going to do next is important and fits into a thematic narrative. I lean toward synthesis in my lit reviews instead, but I'm not super concerned with the allegations of plagerism in Gay's lit reviews.

You mention Stanford's president being forced out this summer. His research misconduct is far more severe (Gay's sins were more of the venial variety) as he fabricated data to support his conclussions. Those conclussions lead to people chasing down rabit holes on theraputics that weren't warranted.

I'm pretty sure the accusations came after.
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 11:36:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

And I actually agree with her final paragraph in the op-ed:

College campuses in our country must remain places where students can learn, share and grow together, not spaces where proxy battles and political grandstanding take root. Universities must remain independent venues where courage and reason unite to advance truth, no matter what forces set against them.
I think it's relevant to mention where the plagiarism accusations started: Christopher Rufo. The same Christopher Rufo who made his bones whipping up hysteria about "critical race theory". How many other college presidents (or professors) has Rufo investigated for plagiarism? I'm sure it was just a coincidence that Gay was the first.

So it can be both true that Gay was wrong for her comments to Congress and/or the academic dishonesty, but also a convenient way for Rufo (and others) to extend the culture war they're so interested in fighting.

The NYT has stated Harvard was first approached by
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 11:46:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

the NY Post about possible plagiarism in October (at the link).

I get that Rufo has an agenda, but I don't think it has any bearing on whether there was in fact plagiarism.

I think we can agree that the NY Attorney General dislikes/is biased against/is looking to damage Donald Trump, but only Trumpers claim that this somehow makes him less guilty.

Serves me right for not reading the Post.
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 12:00:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Like I said, it can be plagiarism. Might even be plagiarism that warrants termination. But in the grand scheme, I do think how these investigations get started (or publicized) is relevant.

Responding to something you posted below: Activism/politics and academics shouldn't mix. Which I think was part of her point in the op-ed.

But why is it relevant?
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 12:06:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Plenty of misconduct in the world is brought to light by unsavory characters.

Mark Felt of Watergate fame became Woodward & Bernstein's source because he was pissed at Nixon for passing him over to be FBI director after Hoover died.

Does that cast doubt on Nixon's guilt or the information he gave to the Post? I don't think so.

(ETA in response to your addition: academics and politics have been mixing a lot lately - in both directions - academics doing politics and politicians getting involved in academics. But prominent university officials making seven-figure salaries cannot expect their published works will escape scrutiny by those who are inclined to publicize rather than bury potential misconduct)

It's relevant because I don't think politically-motivated
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 12:17:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

inquiries (or litmus tests) in high-education are helpful. Maybe they are elsewhere.

If academic dishonesty is so critical, then all University presidents (or faculty) should be subjected to said investigation. Not just when someone decides they don't like their politics.

Dishonesty is a huge deal in academia.
by EricCartman  (2024-01-04 13:27:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

There are plenty of examples of academics being fired for being dishonest. Now, you may not consider plagiarism to be comparable to falsifying data on the scale of which is worse. However when publishing, they are both material violations of professional standards.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/quick-takes/2023/07/20/florida-state-fires-professor

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/26/1184289296/harvard-professor-dishonesty-francesca-gino

https://www.woodtv.com/news/michigan/university-of-michigan-researcher-quits-after-publishing-falsified-data/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-met-university-of-illinois-professor-fired-20181214-story.html

https://stanforddaily.com/2023/07/19/stanford-president-resigns-over-manipulated-research-will-retract-at-least-3-papers/

I'm in academia.
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 13:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'm aware.

Were they all fired after appropriate institutional investigations? Or did any of them get canned because they had outside actors trying to get them fired because they didn't like their politics? Were Christopher Ruffo et al. going to stop taking shots if Harvard ran an investigation that determined she plagiarised, but that it didn't rise to the level of being removed as President?

Which is my point below on how this should be handled. It's possible that Gay committed plagiarism, but that the circumstances surrounding how it played out are problematic.

I agree it's something worth considering....
by Marine Domer  (2024-01-05 15:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

We don't want McCarthyism, but can still be concerned about Communist infiltration into our institutions. So one can consider the motivation of the whistleblower, and the severity of the matter being investigated.

It's similar to an argument many of us have had with Trumpsters, including within my own family. Yes, I have no doubt some of the investigatory vigor directed at Donald Trump is politically motivated. That should be addressed and called out. But that doesn't mean it's OK for him to do the things he does.

Cool, then we are on the same page.
by EricCartman  (2024-01-04 14:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

My wife has a PhD, so I was subjected to five years of discussions about publications and life in the lab.

Digging into someone's background to find dirt is fairly standard practice in politics. Like it or not, when you take overtly political positions, someone on the other side is going to come for you.

I do agree that the practice of digging up dirt is problematic, I just don't think that the practice is unique to what happened to Gay. It is SOP in politics (which is why most normal people don't want to run for office) and some form of vetting is usually done for executive level positions in corporate America. While the motivations of her accusers should be taken into consideration, the fact remains that the accusations are valid. Given this, the motivations don't really matter all that much.

It does seem strange that none of this was identified before. How many levels of review did her work go through prior to being finalized?

She did her PHD a while back
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-04 15:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'm sure if you fed a lot of old work through modern plagiarism finding software that you'd turn up a lot of dirt on a lot of people. There's software now that's good at catching human generated data in experiments that's led to some retractions.

I'm just surprised it's not SOP to do this before hiring a president or giving someone tenure.

She graduated a few years ago.
by EricCartman  (2024-01-04 15:19:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It was before the AI boom, but not that long ago.

She got her PhD in 1998
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-04 16:11:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That seems to be in the early years of software.

I thought Jacquard invented software. *
by Kbyrnes  (2024-01-05 15:37:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That will be news to a lot of engineers. Just giving you a
by Grace91  (2024-01-04 17:39:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

hard time - I presume that you mean the early years of the type of software used to check references in papers and such.

Ha.
by EricCartman  (2024-01-04 16:59:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I was talking about my wife. Sorry.

Let's include for consideration the resignation of the pres
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 13:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

of the University of South Carolina for plagiarizing a piece of a commencement speech (not generally considered an academic work) in 2021.

Shocking that Ivy league admins aren't keen to investigate
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 12:25:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

members of their own club.

Wasn't the president of Stanford just ousted over research misconduct?

I guess my point is, if the misconduct is there, then I don't really care who brings it to light. Human nature suggests to me that critics or competitors are more likely to (a) go looking and (b) go public if they find wrongdoing.

(ETA: Should the Michigan cheating scandal be discounted because Ohio State was first to raise the alarm?)

I have no problem with that. Sunshine is the best disinfectant. Perhaps Harvard should've done their homework during the hiring/search process - this could have been avoided.

Then I guess we're going to disagree.
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 12:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Going back to the original point of the thread and dealing with "rot" at academic institutions, I don't think supporting politically-targeted investigations to get rid of people we don't agree with is going to solve the problem.

EDIT: And as to why they don't "investigate their own", it has little to do with the Ivy league specifically. I'm sure they all know that if people looked hard enough, they'd all be guilty of similar attribution errors.

EDIT2: And to be clear, I do think the examples are plagiarism. So then what to be done about it? Well, it should have been handled by the same processes which govern all other academic misconduct at Harvard, including students. The result of that investigation may have warranted termination, or maybe it would have warranted something less severe.

So the solution to the problem of "rot" in higher education
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 12:57:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

is to stop looking for it and/or to put primary importance on the personal politics of those who uncover the misconduct?

That would seem to make the problem worse, not better.

The solution would be to investigate and
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 13:03:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

handle it by processes that apply to all other faculty and students. And not let decisions on how it should be handled be driven by activism from those with ulterior motives.

I assume outside parties had no say in Prof. Gay's
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 13:09:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

resignation (she wasn't fired) beyond their ability to comment in the public arena.

Again, I don't see how that's a bad thing. I assume she could have demanded a formal review process beyond the secret anonymous panel the Harvard Corporation initially propped up to look at the first round of accusations (which were pretty weak in my view, in contrast to the later stuff that came out). She didn't. I assume there was a reason for that as well (the reason being she gets to keep her $900K a year professor position in Cambridge).

But if academia is going to take the position that the only allegations of misconduct that may be considered are those that (a) come from academics, and only from academics who (b) friends or allies of the subject of the investigation, then I think that says much about the quality and ethics of the academy.

It would be naive to think outside parties had no "say".
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 13:15:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Sure, they don't make the decisions. But they can certainly continue to beat the drum and stir up negative publicity to the point where she gets asked to resign (but isn't fired).

I think academia should take the position that people can be investigated and punished, but that the corrective action should not be based on whether the public perception of said correction is "sufficient".

She was caught plagiarizing work on multiple occasions.
by krudler  (2024-01-04 16:23:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

She and her ilk set a double standard up on campus regarding speech, favoring certain groups over others. Anyone who is objective sees the double standard regarding speech on campus (what speech is considered "violence", heckler's veto for conservative speakers without any punishments), and she embarrassed her university by allowing and enabling this rot. This was all exposed and she subsequently resigned. You're probably right in that she was nudged to that position by people both inside and outside the university, but she certainly could have demanded a more formal process that may or may not have let her keep a high six-figure position. You don't like the politics behind one of the people who helped expose her plagiarism, ok. But that kind of stuff happens all the time, in the numerous examples above, not to mention politics invading our legal system as people search out grievances to sue over in order to make a political point (gay wedding cakes etc.).

Harvard is the most prestigious and well-known university in the country, I have no doubt there are plenty of qualified candidates out there who haven't plagiarized to the level she did and who would likely be more proactive in cracking down on obvious double standards for speech on campus.

So are you pleased she got canned because
by FaytlND  (2024-01-04 17:13:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

she was plagiarizing, or because of (your assessment) of behavior with regard to speech on campus? And is it because of her specific actions/policies, or because you're just lumping in with "her ilk".

Your post is demonstrating my problem with the whole situation. Disagreeing with her politics, and then searching for a pretense to fire her is problematic. If you think she should be removed because of her policies related to campus speech, then make a case for that. As in Gay's case with plagiarism, "But that kind of stuff happens all the time" is rationalization, not justification.

If they are going start examing all college Presidents then
by wpkirish  (2024-01-04 11:52:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I would agree with you but I doubt they are going to do that.

Harvard, as probably the most prestigious and well-known
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 11:57:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

university, should not be a surprising first target.

I'm all for people digging into academic misconduct - if there's nothing there, then it doesn't matter who does the digging.

When academics and activism/politics mix, this is going to happen.

I just don't see why people leapt to excuse what seems to be pretty clear misconduct because they don't like the politics of the people who uncovered it. That seems to be counterproductive.

I get that of course I also find it ironic that the person
by wpkirish  (2024-01-04 12:54:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

leading the charge (Ruffo)claimed to have a masters from Harvard when in fact he attended the Harvard Extension School.

I think this issue is an extension of cancel versus accountability. I may be wrong but suspect many of th folks who believe the good Dr. should have been fired do not believe the similar allegations against Justice Gorsuch were fair and should have been a part of his evaluation.

Is her demotion / firing justified based upon the issues discovered? I would say it probably is but I would also say she was not targeted for her plagiarism.

She wasn't fired, was she? I don't know much about Rufo
by Barrister  (2024-01-04 13:03:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

other than he's an anti-DEI pot stirrer and propagandist.

In this instance, however, the guy who went to the extension school did a better vetting job than the Harvard Corporation and its presidential search committee, and in less time.

And granting for the sake of discussion that the digging into Prof. Gay's publications was not motivated in the first instance by plagiarism concerns but by opposition to her real or perceived politics, it does not change the fact that real academic misconduct was found. The professor has nobody to blame but herself for that.

The lesson here may be that sometimes assholes are right.

All of this started back a few years
by Raoul  (2024-01-04 22:21:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Christopher Brunet (at the time a substack blogger and investigative journalist who follows academic stories - fraud, plagiarism, disputes on firing people, etc) was the one who raised it well before this fall. He was on to her flaws back when she was merely a Dean. But no one cared. A guy like Rufo simply expanded on and amplified what he had already done (Rufo probably now has access to significant resources). Brunet is a conservative Canadian, but not a widely read guy like Rufo. Ackman amplified what Rufo and Brunet subsequently collaborated on.

Interestingly, Ackman's current wife (2nd one) is Neri Oxman, a well known design guru / beautiful person who dated Brad Pitt before marrying Ackman in the last few years. Just today she was accused of plagiarism in her 2010 MIT PhD by Business Insider - problematic for her since she is currently a professor at MIT. [Edit: She left her MIT role in 2020, now running a design start-up...she has written her own response to Business Insider that people can review if they like]

The reality is that academia is rife with plagiarism and faulty data. Professors have the same cravings - fame, power, glory, etc - as anyone else and they cheat, lie, defraud, sexually harass at minimum at the same rate of the general population. Probably much higher given their ambition - so more like that of Wall Street types, Corporate Execs and high level Military and Religious figures.

The good news is the we are getting a bit of a Martin Luther moment here in terms of academia. Or at least we can hope. Time to clean out the Augean Stables of academia as they are rather polluted.

Presumably Stanford who granted her tenure
by fontoknow  (2024-01-04 17:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Should have done a better job vetting her tenure file ...

Once she was granted tenure based on the articles in question, it was off to the races.

I think where I am on this is "both sides" of this post are
by wpkirish  (2024-01-04 17:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

likely correct.

She likely plagiarized and the effort to have her removed was not motivated by the plagiarism it was only an excuse. If the groups really care about plagiarism, they can look at a lot of folks but we know they dont.

She should have been fired after her visit to DC *
by airborneirish  (2024-01-06 12:23:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

if Stefanik could be cast out too, that would be great
by ravenium  (2024-01-07 17:25:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I won't defend the people being questioned, but she is a clown who apparently got her pod person implant in the past few years. As usual, ken white probably said it better.

If I recall
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-04 14:15:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The academics I follow said the stuff Rufo released wasn't that concerning. It was stuff that got released after that Rufo hadn't released.

I think Harvard was looking to get rid of her, but didn't want to look too beholden to donors. Then stuff from the ongoing investigation got leaked.