Memo to college presidents....
by mkovac (2024-01-04 12:30:25)

In reply to: Useful review of how the rot set in at "elite" schools.  posted by sorin69

"You DO NOT FUCK WITH JEWISH DONORS."

It's nice to be a college president at an elite Ivy League School. You get to go to all the nice caviar cocktail parties. You can espouse any political view you want to whatever glitterati that think you're the cat's ass.

But, if the shit hits the fan on campus and you are called upon to defend splinter groups who cry "From the River To the Sea!" you had better defend Israel's right to exist, or your right to exist in your ivory tower will disappear.

Dig it.

Recommended is Kbrnes EDIT at bottom of thread, on
by sorin69  (2024-01-05 12:48:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

what the hapless presidents should have said.

"any political view you want"?
by Tex Francisco  (2024-01-04 12:38:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think it's implied that you mean as far left as you want.

Opposite viewpoints will quickly get you disinvited to those
by krudler  (2024-01-04 16:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

elite caviar parties. Free speech is encouraged as long as it aligns with the latest viewpoints from Vox, Huffpost, and Salon.

Things are very different now.
by mkovac  (2024-01-04 19:40:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Back before the Internet and cell phone cameras that can now record drunken behavior and bad language at private parties, hallway conversations, and nascent sex scandals in Foggy Bottom (think of the late Wilbur Mills - link), members of Congress could get away with a heck of a lot.

No more.

If they so much as look sideways at a stranger, it's on Twitter ("X Files" as I now call it, and I refuse to sign up for it) before the parties have made it home that day or night.

All of this all caps bullshit has destroyed both the innocent and the guilty and now people are "canceled" and innocent family members are also destroyed at their places of work or school.

As W.B. Yeats so accurately foretold our future:

"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

Makes you not want to get out of bed in the morning.

Yeah, probably.
by mkovac  (2024-01-04 13:21:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

On further contemplation, yeah, exactly.

I'm sure the opposite would apply
by ravenium  (2024-01-04 12:56:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If it's a Bob Jones or other type university.

Bob Jones is not a prominent, let alone elite, university. *
by Tex Francisco  (2024-01-04 15:10:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

How about "notorious"? I think that fits. Also true that it
by sorin69  (2024-01-05 12:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

often takes outre (don't have an accent ague that this needs) groups or individuals for influential free exercise cases, cf. the Jehovah's Witness family, the Gobitis family, whose children's refusal to do the Pledge with its accompanying flag salute led to two famous free exercise and free speech decisions, the first one in 1940 and the second one in 1943, West Va. State Board of Education vs. Barnette, which overruled the first one.