Mark Cuban further addresses the idea of merit hiring
by wpkirish (2024-01-05 19:53:43)

In reply to: As a follow-up to below, Ackman's post on DEI is interesting  posted by EricCartman

He posted this in response to a snarky comment from Musk.

Full thread is linked below but I thought this portion makes a point I was trying to make and probably did not express well enough. I agree with what he says about subjective v objective merit. And when it becomes subjective I think most of us tend to hire the person we have the most in common with whether it is they look like us, went the same schools, play the same sport. Even when tge hiring is based on merit, the dfference can be a non-merit factor.

"What makes the whole " what about the players " comment ridiculous is that it's presumes that all positions are hired based on some quantitative rather than subjective version of merit. They aren't

Even choosing the best basketball player is very much a guess. Which is why the best players weren't always the first pick in the draft and some go undrafted

The reality is that most positions hired in a company don't have a quantitative metric you can use to hire someone.