But the chips didn't fall where they may.
by FaytlND (2024-01-05 20:31:10)
Edited on 2024-01-05 20:32:20

In reply to: I guess I find folks' reflexive defense of misconduct  posted by Barrister

That's my problem with it. It's a separate issue than "Was this plagiarism". There were people who were more interested in achieving a specified outcome (getting Gay removed), and were going to move whatever levers they could to make that happen. Take a look at Rufo's recent Q&A with Politico, which demonstrates that point.

As I've said elsewhere, it can be simultaneously true that Gay is a plagiarist and that the circumstances surrounding how that was discovered/publicized/adjudicated represent other relevant issues (that may actually be more important than this one specific instance of academic dishonesty).

I have no specific interest in Claudine Gay. I do have a specific interest when political activists try to insert themselves into the functioning of universities based on their preferred ideology (and yes, that goes "both ways"). Maybe we can agree that in the grand scheme, having people like Christopher Rufo running around is a net negative. Arguably a more significant net negative than whether or not Claudine Gay is a plagiarist.