I read the article
by AquinasDomer (2024-01-09 22:01:47)

In reply to: Useful to a point?  posted by BeijingIrish

I agree it should be used, but it's not the only predictive factor. It's a great way to determine which disadvantaged students are prepared to enroll.

But again, the NBA doesn't just draft the tallest human beings on the planet and the NFL doesn't draft WR's solely based on 40 time.

I dont know that we are saying different things.
by wpkirish  (2024-01-09 23:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Per the article even at MIT test scores are the not the main factor but part of the process. My takeaway from the article is the tests are helpful for students who attended schools that traditionally dont send students to the elite schools. For those that regularly send kids the HS work might be as probative.

I also would be interested in a fuller explanation of what they mean disadvantaged kids who have enormous potential even if their test scores arent that high. To me that seems to say there is a recognition that teaching the test makes a difference. I know that is something lots of folks dispute.

I also wonder what role the ncreased extra time allowances are playing in the overall scheme.

My read is that
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-09 23:57:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

They're not especially teachable and that training for the test has diminishing returns after some studying.

It's testing a combination of overall intelligence combined with a lifetime of learning/education.

A kid from the wrong side of the tracks might never match the kid who's had all the advantages in life, even if given an intense prep course.

The university has to decide if the kid with worse numbers can hack it. And if they'll add something to the school that the other kid can't.