The statements were along on the lines of it is impossible
by wpkirish (2024-01-10 10:16:33)

In reply to: I'm curious what exactly your friend said.  posted by Tex Francisco

for white kid to get into the top schools today. Now I will readily admit it is more difficult than it used to be and affirmative action plays a role in this. However, dont come to me complaining about it when your superscore isnt even in the top 2% of scores. To me in that case affirmative action isnt the reason your kid did not get in to the top schools. As I posted elsewhere many of these schools admit a larger % of the class from legacies, athletes, and faculty children then they do black students but we dont hear the same complaints even though those are not focused soley on the merit of the applicant.

The reason your kid did not get into the top schools is because there is no longer room for a well rounded good kid with a 32 in those schools. They want a lot more than that and whether it is the common app or another reason kids today are more likely to apply to more than one of those schools. PLus the business of the schools forcing kids into Early Decisions hurts the kids chances unless you know for certain you want to go to a certain school.

Take Boston College as an example. Per the website below they received 2800 ED applications and admitted 960 students for an admission rate of 34%. If the numbers are similar to last year they will have 36,000 to 37,000 regular applications. and will accept an additonal 4500 students or somewhere around 12%. So if you want to go to BC your odds are 3 times better applying ED. And that process is designed solely to benefit the kids not the schools.