OT: I can't bring myself to read that book. As a
by CMCIrish (2024-01-11 17:52:03)

In reply to: I dont disagree with much of what you say except the idea  posted by wpkirish

practicing Christian (of the Catholic variety, so the many of the "Christian" nationalists would not think I am a Christian, but still...), one of the most disgraceful and, in my view, damaging things to Christianity as a whole in America has been the explicitly anti-Christian views and stances taken by these "Christian" nationalists.

There aren't all that many things I would say Jesus was 100% clear about. But he was absolutely, 100% clear when he addressed lying and how to treat your enemy and sinners. Yet these so-called Christians have embraced lying as the means to their end, and their end has largely become punishing both their enemies and those they view as sinners.

One additoinal thought on the book. It also profiles a
by wpkirish  (2024-01-12 15:37:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

number of people who might change your view of evangelicals and politics.

I highly recommend the book and as I said in the post down
by wpkirish  (2024-01-11 18:54:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

the page not because I am a liberal and he takes the evangelical right to task. I think it was illiuminating to read about the schism and to see not just the mega churches but also the smaller churches we have neverr heard of that are likely the most radicalized. It did also cause me to pause and think about my poltics, my faith and the intersection of the two.

Well wrritten book by a person whose background was uniquely suited to writing it in a way that examine the issues in a way that was both respectful and honest.