Well the Church also opposed Artificial insemination on the
by wpkirish (2024-01-14 10:33:28)
Edited on 2024-01-14 10:36:06

In reply to: If only there were a process by which one could becomeā€¦  posted by FL_Irish

grounds that sex has two aspects procretive and unitive (emotional or spirtual) and dividing those is wrong. As someone whose children were born with the assistance of science i can assure the decison to reproductive technology is every bit as unitive as having sex and in some cases more so.

The decision to use those technologies does not just happen and takes a lot of discussion between the couple that is every bit as unitive as having sex. When we were going through the decisoin I reached out to a priest who was a long time family friend. I think he point is still a good one that what the Chruch doctrine is missing is the fact that what my wife and i were doing was a result of the same love of married couple having children having love every day.

I get that the Church does not want labs creating babies (neither do I) but I also will tell you the Church does not understand what it means to family's like ours.

As for adoption I can tell you we discussed that. It was not the right decison for us in part because an adopted friend had found her birth mom and we wateched pain it caused her adoptive mom, I have great respect for adoptive parents but not everyone has the emotional ability to do that.

Replies: