The Church did not oppose IVF in the 14th Century
by czeche (2024-01-14 14:06:19)

In reply to: I am well aware of both  posted by goirish89

My subject may sound a bit flippant, but I think it's worth commenting that these moral issues have been looked at quite recently, and the church is not just aware of scientific advance but can claim quite a bit of credit for scientific advancement throughout the last 1000-2000 years (depending on when you think the "Catholic Church" came into existence).

The history of those in power trying to control is a very long one (in fact, just as long as history is) and I know one can certainly point to many, many examples of the Catholic hierarchy doing just that, but the IVF/surrogacy concern raises specific moral concerns. Artificial insemination is a different (lower) level of concern. Specifically, according to the Catholic argument the injury done by artificial insemination is to the people who are choosing that injury, whereas the injury done by IVF and the like is done to others (obviously this is based on the concept that fertilized eggs are people).

Personally, I am not Catholic but I do believe in an objective truth. That objective truth means there will be conclusions that are not pleasant. That does not invalidate the conclusions. Now, I agree with you that if someone can proceed in an ethical, moral manner they should be allowed to. Interestingly, the Catholics would also agree with you, they would simply say this is not ethical or moral.

Replies: