Iranian missile attacks on US bases after Soleimani (link)
by irishlaw2010 (2024-01-16 12:19:12)

In reply to: Was there any meaningful reaction like that when  posted by krudler

Right, but they've been having their proxies do the same
by krudler  (2024-01-16 12:21:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

consistently for over 3 months, not to mention firing at our ships as well. My response to AD was specifically about his "rally around the flag" comment, and not really seeing a lot of that in Iran after we killed Soleimani aside from some state rallies.

I was responding to
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-16 13:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

" a country full of young people that are desperate for new leadership."

And in terms of us being able to handle a stand off better that might be true in an absolute sense, but it was also the case in Vietnam. Our people won't tolerate the degree of suffering that Iran will tolerate. Heck, we wouldn't tolerate their current quality of life.

I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions on exactly how to respond, but I don't think it's so simple as we can blow more up than they can, therefore there's no way they'd respond in kind.

I don't think I was making that argument. My point is
by krudler  (2024-01-16 15:27:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

that the administration has been reluctant to use force or respond in kind for fear of escalation, while Iran has been unilaterally escalating without fear of any reprisals.

I think we have different goals
by AquinasDomer  (2024-01-16 17:21:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

We want to get through Israel's war in Gaza without the war metastasizing to other areas.

Iran wants to destabilize the neighborhood and gain more power in the region.

If we escalate we risk playing into their hands and strengthening their position politically in country and the Middle East.