That could work. Dimon has enough of a name brand.
by EricCartman (2024-01-16 16:16:57)

In reply to: How about Jamie Dimon and Adm. McRaven? *  posted by Freight Train

McRaven ran the University of Texas for a few years, giving him experience outside of the military.

I would consider voting for that ticket.

Honest question not trying to be an asshole Assume they
by wpkirish  (2024-01-17 00:00:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

run as a ticket. What states do they take from Trump and what states do they take from Biden that allows them to gwt to 269 Electoral College votes because if they dont they arent winning. People on the internet can have their dream ticket but need to deal in the reality of 538 electoral college votes.

Can they take enough votes to win every state Biden won? Can they take enough votes to win any states Trump won? How do they do better than Perot did in 92?

Keep in mind while a lot of people talk about being "independent" the data will tell you they actually strongly prefer one party but say they are independent. And of course people want to support winners.

No Labels talks about running a ticket that enjoys majority support but they wont get that. Chrsitie is a perfect example. He dropped out of the Republican primary without hitting double digits in support. For obvious reasons (including his history on abortion) he is unlikely to attract significant support among Dems. People here advocate him joining no labels but he wont attract a majority of support.

The bigger problem is the candidate would need to attract Democratic Support in states Biden won and Republican support in States Trump won. I am not even certain what issues you would campaign on that would allow one to do that. 2020 was obvuously a year where a number of traditional Republican voters crossed over and voted for Biden so obviously a third party candidacy is going to take from him how many would not for Trump? Keep in mind the polling from Iowa whichshows about less than half of the Haley voters would vote fro Biden over Trump while another 6% of her voters would vote for RFK Jr. Overall 11% of the Republicans said they would vote for Biden and 71% said they would vote for Trump.

The Hard reality is there is not enough votes for a third party candidate to win and at best they would throw the election to the house. .

I agree that it is almost impossible for a third party win.
by EricCartman  (2024-01-17 08:17:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I am not proposing No Lables as a ticket that can win, I view 2024 as an opportunity to weaken the two party system, and shift towards a multiparty system. The two parties are already the aggregation of multiple ideologies. Why not split the parties into smaller subgroups and give voters more options?

I’m also somewhat encouraged by the surge in Independent voters. Voters appear to want better candidates, and appear to be rejecting a desire to be associated with either party. Will this lead to the political duopoly coming to an end? Probably not, since the same thing happened in 2014.

The quality of the political class has been trending down for decades. If rejecting two horrible candidates to make a statement is what it takes to change the balance of power, then I’m all for it.

I think the surge in independent voters is more a reflection
by wpkirish  (2024-01-17 10:36:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

of how people view politics and government (40+ years of being told it is the enemy) and less a reflection of voter's desire for a party with new views. I say this based on the historical data and more imoportantly the fact most people dont identify an issue with which drives the change. I also think it reflects the fact that while many think divided government is best because it cant do too much, people want government to work and the divided government of the past 15-20 years does not work.

However even if you think I am wrong a WH campaign is the wrong way to accomplish your goal in my view. First, as you admit it is unlikely to win and most likely to send Trump to the WH with the very real possibility of a Republican Senate and House. If you want to push the parties to change go find 20 Senate seats and 50 House seats where the silent middle can flip it from R/D to Independent. The problem is you cant find them.