I think he will lose the general by worse than last time
by Nyirish08 (2024-01-17 09:48:08)

In reply to: Trump's 51% in IA is a bad General Elec omen for him, right?  posted by Freight Train

I think Haley would probably win

What if he recruits Haley as VP?
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-01-17 22:18:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

That might swing enough moderate Rs and independents Trump’s way to win. I think that’s Trump’s only chance other than Biden dying before the election.

It almost never works like that.
by John@Indy  (2024-01-18 10:19:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Maybe a specific VP nominee might help in a specific locale, but Haley isn't some towering figure. She would be a better president than Trump, but let's not overstate the influence of the Iowa Caucus's second runner-up.

Also, even if she were as influential as you imagine, she would be sacrificing much of her appeal by signing on with Trump.

You’re probably correct
by acrossdmiddle  (2024-01-18 14:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

She could help soften his message a bit, but at the end of the day he can’t be managed and she would be overshadowed (and that’s probably an understatement). Also, it’s not as clear that Trump will die in office as Biden, so few would use that as justification for voting for the combined ticket.

Concur on both *
by Manor76  (2024-01-17 15:26:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply